Texas82GP's GMT900

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
There was no option for me other than surgery. I actually tried injections, that lasted a week.. still have no idea how I did it. Literally woke up one morning and was like damn, I threw my back out again. But it kept getting worse instead of better, 9 months later I had surgery. I was down to sleeping less than an hour a night because of the pain.

IMG_20160803_081528358_zps66g8ngc5.jpg

IMG_20160803_081538092_zpsnj88slwh.jpg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks, and you know, you'd be surprised.

My issues didn't all occur in one shot. And I actually had other areas that were helped by that aforementioned physical therapy where both broad based bulge/protrusion and narrow ones subsided, but none were ruptures (although there were tears in the annual disc which eventually healed, but, the repaired tissie will always be weaker. It also took a couple therapists to find the "right" one, different practitioners perform the same manual manipulations with different intensities, and, different bodies respond better than others when the treatment is rougher or gentler.) My insurance covered 40 appt per year at zero cost to a physical therapy program, outside deductible/coinsurance, and independent of chiro and other doctors so I am/was fortunate. Doesn't hurt to ask what yours treats things as.

Chiros do somethings one way, PTs do them another. Might not hurt to try different approaches if insurance leaves the attempt affordable. Same with a pain mgmt practice vs the neruo/ortho doctor. (I visited an ortho practice where all the ortho doctor treated was spine/neck issues, in addition to the neuro about the chronic issues) They can only cut once, but if that's what it takes to get relief it's well worth it. Also ask about the life of the device they choose to use if you do opt for the knife. Some devices only last 20 years or so, and, are difficult to replace because of how they modify the bones upon insertion - another reason among many we opted to forego surgical means on some earlier stages before everything had so many issues and it was no longer an option in some areas.

Meanwhile, on the one hand, honestly, other than the knowledge it was that way once, I don't remember what it felt like to wake up pain free anymore, can't picture it. BUT, it's kind of like that old joke - oh, xyz hurts? I'll punch you in the arm. That arm now hurts, but, xyz doesn't feel so bad now right? I've found usually its the one or two worst places that you feel the most. The others you're aware of, and, maybe they rotate.

take away - I'll bet what you feel right now is in its own way every bit as bad as what I (or others) go through, so, never feel when talking with your providers as if you need to downplay an impact or feeling. Don't worry about how they'd interpret it, or think other people you see in the office that may 'appear' worse make you feel you must be overreacting in any way or degree. Pain sucks, and different bodies have different tolerances and thresholds. All that matters is how your brain receives its particular signals and reacts. (There's people who have disc issues and feel no pain at all, lucky sons of...)

Now, you wouldn't be getting one with your issues, but, for 3 years after the lumbar and sciatica issues I refused to turn in my state disability placard because I felt like other people were worse off than I was. So I just walked real slow, and stopped every 100 feet or so for a bit because spasms would trigger and pain everywhere would be flaring. Eventually I gave in and admitted that part, got the tag, so, on bad days when I go out, things get a little easier. I was stupid and stubborn. Don't be an idiot like me when there's an alternative.

As an aside, in my case I've also been taking nerve pain medications, pain medications, and muscle relaxants for the last 5 years. Again, some things got rotated in and out, there were prescription antiinflammatories involved as well that were outside the purview of my primary care but the pain management doctor used and was more familiar with.. There are downsides, and upsides, and each area someone specializes in gives them different tools. Kind of like how you don't ask a Chevy rebuilder to do your Oldsmobile engine, they wouldn't know the specific tricks to get the best out of it and make thing work right.

And Supercharged111 was correct - things like the epidural have frequency limits, because in addition to the numbing agents there are steroids going in. Side effect of those shots is calcium depletion along with vitamin d and other issues. So, you need a good provider who educates you about those side effects going in and puts you on an appropriate vitamin regimen to compliment the medicines going into your body. Typically the older you are, and other health issues you have, influence what treatments are more recommended as far as frequency. I'm at 6 epidurals/yr and they hop between areas based on pain intensity for example.

And if you ever have questions about experiences with some of those treatment options (at least that I've done), feel free to ask in forum or pm.
Thanks again. I really appreciate the insight.

Reactions: 1 user

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Nerve related. It hurts from the base of my neck through the meat of my right shoulder, in the arm/shoulder joint and down the right arm all the way to the wrist. I'm not too excited about the prospect of surgery but I can't live like this the rest of my life.
Damn I'm going through the same thing it sucks, the worst is when it makes me start throwing up and makes my back worse

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Damn I'm going through the same thing it sucks, the worst is when it makes me start throwing up and makes my back worse
It's no cure or substitute for everything else you've got going on for treatment, but, they recently changed Voltaren (diclofenac sodium) gel to over-the-counter.

It's an anti-inflammatory gel, smells of ammonia. They used to have me on a prescription of it before it was delisted.

Think of it like ibuprofen properties, but it's skin absorbed to target the area you apply it to. Idea is to help shrink inflamed tissue, and hopefully reduce some of the nerve pressures. Might do nothing, or might give slight help. Less than $10 to try though, and, can be used together with ibuprofen.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
It's no cure or substitute for everything else you've got going on for treatment, but, they recently changed Voltaren (diclofenac sodium) gel to over-the-counter.

It's an anti-inflammatory gel, smells of ammonia. They used to have me on a prescription of it before it was delisted.

Think of it like ibuprofen properties, but it's skin absorbed to target the area you apply it to. Idea is to help shrink inflamed tissue, and hopefully reduce some of the nerve pressures. Might do nothing, or might give slight help. Less than $10 to try though, and, can be used together with ibuprofen.

I can't do Ibuprofen because it destroys my stomach in just a couple of days. This goo may be the ticket though.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I can't do Ibuprofen because it destroys my stomach in just a couple of days. This goo may be the ticket though.
Hate to hijack this thread into old men and liniment 101...

2 things they had/have me on were 1) called meloxicam, it's a pac medication prescription anti-inflammatory where you slide out the card and punch the pills for like 7 or 11 days, I forget. Don't recall the stomach harshness, just know I was put on the rotation dose a couple times.. . 2) a medication called duexis. It mixes the 800mg dose of ibuprofen with something that helps protect the stomach lining from harshness of the high ibuprofen dose. (Mine comes direct mailed from a local pharmacy at zero cost.) Not sure if that is a help, but if your doc hasn't mentioned it before could be something to discuss.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
That sucks, I was taking 3200mg of ibuprofen a day. Of course I had to go and speak up about being good, and today my back is killing me. Only happened twice since surgery and today is one of the times. LOL

• Sad

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hate to hijack this thread into old men and liniment 101...

2 things they had/have me on were 1) called meloxicam, it's a pac medication prescription anti-inflammatory where you slide out the card and punch the pills for like 7 or 11 days, I forget. Don't recall the stomach harshness, just know I was put on the rotation dose a couple times.. . 2) a medication called duexis. It mixes the 800mg dose of ibuprofen with something that helps protect the stomach lining from harshness of the high ibuprofen dose. (Mine comes direct mailed from a local pharmacy at zero cost.) Not sure if that is a help, but if your doc hasn't mentioned it before could be something to discuss.
No hijack. I'm one of the hurting old guys.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Here comes the doctor!

steve austin GIF by WWE

steve austin GIF by WWE

Hit Him Where It Hurts Steve Austin GIF by WWE

steve austin GIF by WWE

And that's the bottom line... because motorhead says so!

My knees feel for you guys.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Haha
  • Love

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor