Texas82GP's GMT900

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If you didn't see it in the What did you do at work today? thread, I did this on my way to work on Friday before last (8/5).....

20220805_091036_copy_2000x1500.jpg

That was my last day before we were going on family vacation so it was a lousy start. The fellow I ran into did something extremely stupid but at the end of the day I ran into him so it's my fault. That Saturday my brother and I went to a local GMC dealer for parts but they didn't have any and wanted me to pay list price. I told the parts guy I could buy them from Flow Chevrolet (GM Parts Direct) and ship them for a little less than he was quoting and asked him if he could sell to me wholesale as dealers often have for me in the past. He couldn't or wouldn't budge but brought to my attention that GM is now selling parts directly to the public. They ship them to your dealer, who collects the money at the time of the sale, and you just go pick them up.

www.parts.gmc.com
www.parts.buick.com
www.parts.chevrolet.com
www.parts.cadillac.com

They offer a much better price online and I even got a 15% discount code for body parts. I ordered the chrome bumper face bar, the lower valance, the plastic inner support for the bumper cover and both of the left and right mount brackets that mount the bumper face bar to the frame mount brackets that same Saturday. At that point I was $806.07 in. GM wanted $10/rivet for the correct rivets for the front plate holder so I got a bag of them from Clips and Fasteners for like $13. The bumper cover was not available for sale online so I found one at a Buick/GMC dealer in Conroe (about 20 miles north of here) and paid about $250 out the door. At that point I had a plan in place to fix the truck and was moving forward with doing so. It made me feel better about it.

We were in Galveston most of last week. We rented a beach house. It didn't suck.....

20220809_070119_copy_2000x1500.jpg

On Tuesday or Wednesday last week I got an email from GM stating my parts had been shipped and that I should hear from the dealer within two days. It stated further that if I didn't hear from them, to go ahead and call. We got home Thursday late morning and Sean and I spent several hours cleaning up and stowing the gear (camp chairs, coolers, pop up, etc.). Friday morning I called the dealer and they indicated they had the parts. They hadn't called because the system with the website evidently hasn't been well implemented yet. The parts show up to the dealer, addressed to the dealer, and there isn't a system in place for them to know it was an online order and that they should call the customer. No matter. I got the parts picked up first thing that morning and before lunchtime the truck was torn down....

IMG_20220814_110825_copy_2000x1500.jpg

Between this and @pagrunt I've got to ask.... WTF has happened to bumpers these days? I was joking the other day with the whole 'don't build em like they used to' thread, but... durability it going even worse than I thought. Even for 'disposable' vehicles.

They don't build them like the used to. The bumper is a cheap flimsy erector set....

IMG_20220813_064457_copy_2000x1500.jpg

We had to tear the old bumper down because we needed the fasteners and the most of the brackets to re-use. The chrome face bar is so flimsy by itself that I folded it over with my bare hands. It went a lawn/leaf sack and went in the recycle out at the curb.

Bumper going back together.....

IMG_20220813_064544_copy_2000x1500.jpg

This ate us up for some time. The new inner brackets that bolt the chrome face bar to the frame mounts were missing the nut for the backup. They were tacked onto the old mounts. I dug around in my hardware but I didn't have any metric nuts in this size. I ended up hitting the tacks with the Dremel and then putting a socket and breaker bar on them to break the rest of the welds. Then I ground off the remaining spot welds with the Dremel and on they went. They weren't fun to get a tool on and really needed to be tacked to the new brackets but the brackets were already painted from the factory and were already on the bumper. I wasn't going backwards......

IMG_20220813_064601_copy_2000x1500.jpg

Here the refurbished bumper is back on....

IMG_20220813_064557_copy_2000x1500.jpg

I haven't been able to get the new bumper cover painted yet so we just went back together with the old one. It has a little paint damage and is rippled in a few places from the collision but the truck looks way better put back together. When I get the new cover painted Sean and I will swap it out. I also plan to get the powder coating on the grill insert redone. Here she is, back together....

IMG_20220813_064711_copy_2000x1500.jpg

IMG_20220813_064716_copy_2000x1500.jpg

IMG_20220813_064721_copy_2000x1500.jpg

One week after the accident, it's basically fixed. It's a relief. I really don't like driving a wreck around.

The purge solenoid I replaced around 9 or 10 days ago didn't fix the evap code. For the money, I'm going to keep spraying it with the parts cannon. I bought a Delco vent valve from Amazon, used like new for $33. I'll get that on and take it from there. I had hoped to get the tire sensor replaced this week but it didn't happen. I'll probably work on that next week. I'm really sick of "SERVICE TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM" in the Driver's Information Center every time I crank it up. I wish I could pull that stuff out by the roots.

That's it for now friends. Thanks for following along.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 11 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lookin' good, Jared. (y)
I guess you weren't entitled to anything from the insurance company?

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Lookin' good, Jared. (y)
I guess you weren't entitled to anything from the insurance company?
Thanks Jack. I appreciate it.

I did file a claim on the truck. I've been with them for five years and haven't filed one. I didn't file one on the hit and run a few years ago. We'll see what they pay out.

I went ahead and fixed it myself because I require it to be fixed my way with GM parts and all the correct clips and fasteners.

I'm about $1100 in and it's essentially fixed. I'm not spun up about what they pay out.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Well, accidents happen. No one was hurt. Great job on the repair as usual!

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well, accidents happen. No one was hurt. Great job on the repair as usual!
Thanks Shawn. It's been somewhere around 270-300k miles since I was last at fault (circa 2004). It doesn't really make me feel better though. I was that dumb. This was a very low speed bump. Probably 3 MPH. A testament to how flimsy the bumper is.

Nov 4, 2012
Truck looks good Jared, as always. Not many 15 year old trucks still look that nice.

• Agree

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I've given up on trying to keep a truck look better than OK. just had to pull the wiper transmission linkage on my '08 Silverado, what a PITA. RockA wants $110, Amazon the same, all the parts store want about $280.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
Of course the insurance company would look to get away as cheaply as they can, which means using inferior or used junkyard parts. This way it's fixed the way you want it. I know you're particular in that respect.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Man, that is all quite the adventure. Glad it was an easy fix.

I was really lucky to get new GM parts put back on my TBSS. It's now had at least: one door, the tailgate, rear bumper cover, and a bunch of trim replaced over the years. The only original paint on it now is the roof... LOL.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Jared,
Of course the insurance company would look to get away as cheaply as they can, which means using inferior or used junkyard parts. This way it's fixed the way you want it. I know you're particular in that respect.

And that's why I like State Farm. They will only use OE parts, even if they have can't get them new. Still better than a Chinese repop.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor