Texas82GP's GMT900

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If that P0442 persists, look in the direction of the tank pressure sensor. We replaced a lot of those. Mainly on GMT800s, but yours is reaching that age now.
Thanks for the tip. It's appreciated. I had read that it is a likely suspect.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I got the boots on the lower steering shaft coupler replaced. I pulled it apart Saturday morning. The lower boot was ripped about 180° around. The joint was still pretty clean though. I packed it with CV joint grease and went back with the new boots. I had bought a pair of CV joint pliers for the smaller ear type clamps but realized I needed another pair for the larger, low profile clamp.

Napa showed to have the pliers in stock but of course they didn't. I ordered a pair from O'Reilly and that's where I pulled off. We had a family commitment at my uncle's place early that afternoon. My grandma, dad's mom, turned 101 last Monday.

This morning, I picked up the pliers. Both pairs I bought are Lisle brand and are made in the USA. We loves it!!!!

unnamed.jpg

So here's where I started this morning...

20220313_101513_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Moments later, the low profile clamp was buckled and the smaller clamps were crimped. This was my first shot at CV joint style clamps. All I can say is there's nothing like having the right tool for the job.

20220313_103641_copy_2000x1500.jpg

And back in...

20220313_111610_copy_2000x1500.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
101 that's awesome
She's amazing. She hasn't seemed to age in the last 20 years. She's as sharp as a tack. She's recovered from two broken hips and keeps going. There's some awesome genes on that side of the family.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
202,300 on the clock. I finally got around to flushing the power steering system. It was fairly easy. I'm a little ashamed at how I neglected to do it until now. While I've had one of the lines off of the power steering rack a few times while pulling the oil pan, which necessitated topping off the system, I've never flushed it.

20220326_122906_copy_2000x1500.jpg

20220326_122919_copy_2000x1500.jpg

It needed done....

20220326_131104_copy_2000x1500.jpg

I also did a drain and refill on the cooling system this weekend. At this point all the fluid services are done. I'll drain/refill the transmission the next time I change the oil at 205,000. I drain and refill the trans every 10k miles. The pollen is real bad here right now but I went ahead and washed the truck for next week anyway. Next on the agenda is getting the Y-pipe off the frame. It's never fit right. I think I'm going to "massage" it for clearance but we'll see.

Edit: The new gas cap did not remedy the EVAP code. I'm ignoring it for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
She's amazing. She hasn't seemed to age in the last 20 years. She's as sharp as a tack. She's recovered from two broken hips and keeps going. There's some awesome genes on that side of the family.
That is great. My Aunt made 102. She had good and bad days. I couldn't believe her hair still had red in it. Only two of Dad's Sisters and the 4 Brothers didn't make 90, Abestos exposure did Dad in, still made 82. My Grandfather, Dad's Dad, lived to 95 and smoked a pipe. My Uncle just passed away last week at 91. Dad's Sister, my Aunt has had Cancer for couple of years and was a year older, she still outlived him. Gene's are interesting, unfortunately I take more after the Irish on Mom's Dad's side, unfortunately. Glad to see the truck has held together since 4L80E swap. There is a guy on Classic Olds who did a 568 HP with similar torque 6L swap and he is swapping the TH400 for a built 4L60E. I told him make sure it has everything and a good warranty. He kind of deserves it to fail, swapping out the numbers matching 455 out of his 70 W30 and selling it😱.

Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
That is great. My Aunt made 102. She had good and bad days. I couldn't believe her hair still had red in it. Only two of Dad's Sisters and the 4 Brothers didn't make 90, Abestos exposure did Dad in, still made 82. My Grandfather, Dad's Dad, lived to 95 and smoked a pipe. My Uncle just passed away last week at 91. Dad's Sister, my Aunt has had Cancer for couple of years and was a year older, she still outlived him. Gene's are interesting, unfortunately I take more after the Irish on Mom's Dad's side, unfortunately. Glad to see the truck has held together since 4L80E swap. There is a guy on Classic Olds who did a 568 HP with similar torque 6L swap and he is swapping the TH400 for a built 4L60E. I told him make sure it has everything and a good warranty. He kind of deserves it to fail, swapping out the numbers matching 455 out of his 70 W30 and selling it😱.
his W30 is not the messiah?

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
A little over three months since my last update. I did work on the exhaust. It wasn't a good day for it. I had a poor attitude but just kept swimming. I whipped the s&!t out of the y-pipe with a big hammer. This was probably two months ago. No pictures but it actually doesn't look bad. It helped a lot but the mid section of the exhaust has some movement in it and it will still lightly settle on the frame on the passenger side where the crossmember bolts up. I need to pull the mid section of the exhaust and the crossmember again and trim the frame to totally fix it. It's not a priority now.

Friday before last (4th of July weekend), I took vacation and did service on it. I changed the oil, rotated the tires and did a drain/refill on the transmission. The fluid that came out looked great (predictably with 10k miles between each drain/refill). Not much metal on the magnet....

20220701_101019_copy_2000x1500.jpg

The truck now has a bit over 205k miles on the clock. That's a little over 36k miles on the 4L85E. I have a bad TMPS sensor. I sure wish I could eliminate that system. I find it to be really troublesome. When I put the new tires on the truck, I replaced all four sensors with new, Delco, good date code units. Around 12,300 miles and 13 months later, I have another bad sensor. I hate it. So that's on the immediate agenda. I'm driving less now days though. I now work two days a week from home so that will help.

A few weeks ago, it was a Sunday morning, I went out to the garage to put a coat of wax on at least the top and the hood. It's been a little better than a year since my polishing project. I started applying wax to the hood and Sean came out and seemed interested in helping. We went ahead and waxed the whole truck. It needed it. The hood and top were working on getting away from me again. It wasn't a superb, clay bar, polish, wax production. Just a quick wax job but I'm grateful for the help and really glad it has a coat of wax on it. It's been a hot summer here so far. It's 100° out there now and is forecast to get to 105°. I'm inside keeping cool.

I guess that's it for now friends. We'll see how long it takes me to stack the next 5,000 miles on it and what happens in between. Normally I'd expect to be servicing it again in November but with staying home two days a week, It might be December or January. Until then, thanks for the interest (if any).

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I caught a bug on my trip to Van, TX this week. Felt "off" Wednesday afternoon when I got home but attributed it to not sleeping that great in the hotel. Thursday and Friday were pretty miserable. Watched a lot of YouTube and spent a lot of money. Both bad. Started turning the corner yesterday and feel quite a bit better today. The truck benefited a little from my shopping binge. I bought a new Delco purge solenoid and a new Delco TPMS for the right rear. I installed the purge solenoid this morning. I also confirmed the original unit was leaking. This should fix the EVAP code I've had for the last eight months or so. I hope so. Time will tell. The TPMS is still like a week out on arrival so it's next on the agenda. I really don't like those yellow lights being illuminated. It's bad for my OCD.

Reactions: 3 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I caught a bug on my trip to Van, TX this week. Felt "off" Wednesday afternoon when I got home but attributed it to not sleeping that great in the hotel. Thursday and Friday were pretty miserable. Watched a lot of YouTube and spent a lot of money. Both bad. Started turning the corner yesterday and feel quite a bit better today. The truck benefited a little from my shopping binge. I bought a new Delco purge solenoid and a new Delco TPMS for the right rear. I installed the purge solenoid this morning. I also confirmed the original unit was leaking. This should fix the EVAP code I've had for the last eight months or so. I hope so. Time will tell. The TPMS is still like a week out on arrival so it's next on the agenda. I really don't like those yellow lights being illuminated. It's bad for my OCD.
Sucks that you didn't feel good. I hate sleeping in a hotel. Usually a couple of nights before I sleep due to sleep depravation.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor