The bracing saga continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that is nice work but I'm not sure how well that will stiffen and strenghten the frame. Bolts isolate the stress to where the bolt is installed and these frames are only 14 gauge to begin with. A weld is part of the structure and adds to the structure's strength so the addition of the metal to box the C channel with a bead on each side of the metal strengthens the whole length of the C channel. The other thing is there is alot more material, labor and cost of materials for the bolt in braces than welding in metal

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
With the bolt in set up, you are still going to get a substantial increase in rigidity. It won't be the same as as boxing in the frame with a welder and plate, but it will increase rigidity.

The positive thing about this is that it is a bolt in deal. You don't have to remove the frame and you don't have to weld.

What is the cost?

Reactions: 3 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
that is nice work but I'm not sure how well that will stiffen and strenghten the frame. Bolts isolate the stress to where the bolt is installed and these frames are only 14 gauge to begin with. A weld is part of the structure and adds to the structure's strength so the addition of the metal to box the C channel with a bead on each side of the metal strengthens the whole length of the C channel. The other thing is there is alot more material, labor and cost of materials for the bolt in braces than welding in metal
Thanks pontiacgp for the compliment. I realize this isn’t going to be as strong as a welded in box frame. My goal here was to make it as stiff as possible with out having to remove the body to weld in everything properly. Also I wanted to be able to remove these if I need to replace a brake or fuel line. I didn’t want to reroute all that either with a full box. There is more material and some cost in bolts. I had all the steel. I don’t throw much of it away and I find scrap steel, some new ,most old, this was all new steel, that people are going to junk. I grab it up. I have to take these back off to paint. When I do, I will pick the car up with one arm again and see if they are doing anything. I will post back and let you know. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: 4 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
With the bolt in set up, you are still going to get a substantial increase in rigidity. It won't be the same as as boxing in the frame with a welder and plate, but it will increase rigidity.

The positive thing about this is that it is a bolt in deal. You don't have to remove the frame and you don't have to weld.

What is the cost?
My thoughts exactly. I had to weld these together so I can weld but wasn’t sure if I wanted to weld to my frame. As far as the cost, not much. Scrap steel and some bolts. Most of us have that stuff in our inventory!

Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
you're on your way brother,any way you can tie it all together,be it weld or mechanical fastening is an improvement over the center section being open.they're flimsy.nice.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor