BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
image.jpg

A LOT of the work was done with the frame upside down on the jack stands. In this pic you can clearly see some of the holes being eliminated. The ones in the bottom of the crossmember were left to aid in drainage as water can get in thru the lower control arm mounting locations.
image.jpg

In this pic, you can see the location I chose for the fuel lines to come thru to the engine.
image.jpg

One of my more sneakier tricks was to bend and install a section of stainless tube INSIDE the frame, carefully positioned so as to give the air bag a wide birth. The red part of the fitting goes to a short section of flexible braided hose pointing towards the back of the car. The other end goes to the bulkhead fitting shown in the first pic.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Finally, the boxing sections were ready for pick up, and no time was wasted fitting them to the frame.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Initially, relief cuts were made, and the "ears" were bent out to match the shape of the body mount area and welded up. This has since changed. Now, that shape actually extends down to the bottom to make access easier.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

So, how do you make a straight section of 1/8" plate with a 90 degree bend in it form a curve? This is how...

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Then of course, all the small relief cuts get fully welded up and ground smooth. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a pic of this area finish ground.
image.jpg

Then it was on to the tricky section. Patterns were made, and the appropriate shapes were cut out of steel and fit and welded in place and so on until everything fit and flowed. Then everything was ground smooth till you couldn't tell what was done.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

A far cry from the stock untouched side...

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
image.jpg

Had a great start on the one side, but there was still the other to do... These are "before" pics.
image.jpg
image.jpg

It should be mentioned too that this was during the dead of winter, and my local do it yerself sandblasting yard didn't open till sometime in April. All the rust was ground off by hand, I had a lovely brown layer of dust in my shop for months after this!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Was starting to come along pretty good tho...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

So finally, I was able to get the frame to the blasters and get it cleaned up for real.
image.jpg

After triple and quadruple checking which engine mount holes I needed, I filled in all the rest.
image.jpg

Stay tuned...much more to come!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for your comments and input guys! It's always nice to hear what your thoughts are regarding my build. I've poured my heart and soul and a good amount of creativity and imagination into The Jug, and it's interesting to hear what others think.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just as an aside, I thought I'd throw up some pics of "The Brown Bomber" as well, the $1500 parts car I picked up to supplement the build. This was probably the wisest $$$ I've spent on the car yet.
Here she is after I brought her home and gave her a bath.
Driver side side view.JPG
Driver side rear 3 quarter.JPG
Rear view.JPG
Pass. rear 2 thirds.JPG
Front view.JPG
Interior view front driver side.JPG
Interior view rear driver side.JPG
Twins front view in garage (1).JPG

Don't mind the date stamps on the photos, they're wrong. Anytime I changed the batteries in the camera, I'd always forget to reset the damn date. These pics are actually from the fall of 2010.

As I mentioned earlier, it was a shame I had to part this car out, it was remarkably solid and would've made a great starting point on it's own. Not to fear tho, only the parts I had no use for got sold off, the entire rest of the car was dismantled, cataloged and stored for future use. Every single specialty nut, bolt, screw, fastener, trim piece etc got removed, itemized and tucked away. Virtually nothing went to waste. By the time it went to the recyclers, it was just the shell of the body, not even any glass in it. I even cut out the quarters for future use.
So far, The 'Bomber has donated her frame, header panel, grilles, passenger door, and passenger fender to the build, with more to come I'm sure. I do have the driver's door and fender, trunklid, and wheels that I'd still like to sell if anyone's in the Calgary Canada area. Sorry, but they're just too big to try and ship.

I'll get back to documenting the frame build again next time...

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Back to detailing the frame section of the build for those of you that are still following and aren't bored out of your skulls yet!

100_3881.JPG
100_3886.JPG
100_3882.JPG

This pic and the next are really good ones to illustrate how where the boxed sections blended into the rest of the frame turned out after sandblasting. Can't tell it's not supposed to be that way, and just like GM should've done! :D
100_3883.JPG
100_3876.JPG

Here's a scary one for ya...
This is the FACTORY weld on the passenger side front upper control arm mount, where it welds to the frame. Keep in mind, this is a suspension component mounting area! As much as we all love our cars, we need to keep in mind that GM mass produced these cars, and there were many things that slipped thru. Guys, inspect your cars. Things like this need to be found BEFORE something serious happens, especially in higher horsepower applications. It's a miracle this never failed and caused a serious accident...
So after this was found, EVERY factory weld on this frame was gone over, cleaned up and rewelded by me. I'm leaving nothing to chance, thank you!
100_3887.JPG

So this pic gives you an idea how some of the factory's welds were re-done, and at the same time adding a bit of extra weld to blend in and make it appear seamless.This is the driver's side control arm mount and crossmember area.
100_3888.JPG

The finished version on the passenger's side.
The next couple are to show just how good of condition the rear framerails were! I never expected to find a frame with these in this good shape here in Canada, where they used to salt the roads on a regular basis in the winter.
100_3890.JPG
100_3891.JPG
100_3889.JPG

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just two pics of a large part of the front done.
100_3895.JPG
100_3896.JPG
100_3898.JPG

The sharp eyed ones of you out there will note little things, like the notch in the passenger side front framerail to accomodate the custom radiator I have. (The lower rad hose bung has a 45 degree bend that would've rubbed the framerail) As well as things like extra material added to the tops of the front rails to smooth out the appearance when the hood is open.
100_3900.JPG

Also note the rewelded and trimmed flange around the lower control arm rear mount. Sometimes it's the details and the things you don't notice immediately that can make the difference and set you apart from the next guy!
100_3902.JPG
100_3903.JPG
100_3904.JPG

Now the frame has been flipped upside down, and the front lower control arm mounting ears were marked out to a more pleasing shape. Then they were trimmed and straightened.
100_3908.JPG
100_3926.JPG
100_3927.JPG

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
you're one BAD *ss DUDE!! that frame is a work of art IMO!! I eventually plan on doing a frame off and hope my chassis detail is up to par!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor