BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Donovan, I have not missed any part of your build thread! IMHO, the best parts of your build are the "shock and subtle" details!!! People will be drawn to your ride because of the obvious ("shock") custom items and THEN will be drawn to the not so obvious ("subtle") custom items! Draw the crowd in, keep their eyes moving and looking, and get them talking about your ride! VERY COOL!

Doug

Reactions: 1 users
Donovan,
I definitely read all the text and look at the pics, I personally just don't always comment. I love how you used the celebrity buckets to mount the bulbs. Over the course of the years, I have seem many 3rd gen fbodies and monte/elcaminos with this modification. It has been accomplished many different ways also, but this is my favorite.

I too have been filling the emblem holes in my header panel (78), but I am using the SMC Resin and mat then some Evercoat over top. It has always worked well for me, but I like your approach better.

Great work as always my friend!

Donovan,
You have definitely raised the level of inspiration and raised the bar as to the 'devil in the details" we all would like to see in our rides. I have read this entire thread and I will be going back through and re-read it again because all the information and knowledge you have shared cant be absorbed in one reading. I personally enjoyed reading about the work you put into the firewall,package tray delete, trunk floor mods and the new floor piece you fabbed for over the frame/diff center section. The extra effort that you put into your car may not be appreciated by some but the satisfaction that you'll feel knowing what your hands and skills created will be the envy of many at car shows and drag races. I look forward to the day when your ride is finished and tearing up the car show circuit!
I also appreciate the knowledge of these cars you have shared as to how parts were made by GM, what can be used to modify,repair and what glues/epoxies will or wont work. Keep up the great work and keep the updates coming!

Kevin

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Donovan,
I couldn't say it better, or any different than my fellow members. Your work just blows me away. Keep up the great work, my friend. Your work is an inspiration to us all.

Reactions: 1 user
Donovan, I have not missed any part of your build thread! IMHO, the best parts of your build are the "shock and subtle" details!!! People will be drawn to your ride because of the obvious ("shock") custom items and THEN will be drawn to the not so obvious ("subtle") custom items! Draw the crowd in, keep their eyes moving and looking, and get them talking about your ride! VERY COOL!

Doug
Doug, that is perhaps the best way of voicing my overall build style! There are obvious modifications that are designed and intended to catch the eye, and yet there are others that are far more subtle. I'm not sure which ones I like doing more...
"Shock and Subtle", I like it!

Donovan,
I definitely read all the text and look at the pics, I personally just don't always comment. I love how you used the celebrity buckets to mount the bulbs. Over the course of the years, I have seem many 3rd gen fbodies and monte/elcaminos with this modification. It has been accomplished many different ways also, but this is my favorite.

I too have been filling the emblem holes in my header panel (78), but I am using the SMC Resin and mat then some Evercoat over top. It has always worked well for me, but I like your approach better.

Great work as always my friend!
Jim
I'm glad to hear you respond to this update, I wanted to hear your opinion and thoughts on this latest undertaking. I really struggled a bit to come up with a way to pull the headlight mod off in a way that suited my tastes and build style. I'm quite sure as you said many others have done it (and many different ways too I'm sure) but this was the only way that made sense to me. My favorite thing about doing it this way is it will not only look like something GM could've done, but it mounts the lights the way they were intended to be mounted, and fully retains the access to the bulbs and the adjustments for aiming them!
:-)
As for the resin and Evercoat route, that was initially going to be the plan when a friend reminded me of the selection of quality 2 part repair compounds available. I don't know why I didn't think of that to begin with. :doh:
The ridgid parts repair I used on the ornament holes is just to fill the actual holes. Once it's cured, it's a bit difficult to sand and feather out, so I intentionally undercut it, and will skim coat it with the Evercoat kitty hair and possibly a bit of putty before primer.

ChevyMalibu283,
Wow...
Seriously, I don't even know what to say in response to your post. In the best possible way of course. Such high praise really blew me away...!! I'm just one guy working on his car in the garage same as any other, I assure you.
:)
I am however, really glad that members such as yourself take so much away from all the hours of love and labour I put into the car, not to mention the time it takes to present the info to you guys in a way that makes sense. Comments like yours make it all worthwhile for me. Thanks so much.
As far as sharing information with everyone, my thoughts on this are that in this day and age, all the info is out there anyways (especially on the web). So there's really no point in being secretive about the details. All's I'm doing is making it available in the same place and at the same time that it's relevant. Years ago when I first got into cars, I got the cold shoulder from certain car guys (I used to unflatteringly refer to them as "The Good 'Ol Boys Club") that must've surely looked down on me as "just some kid" anytime I asked questions about how things were done etc. I vowed I'd never be like that, and will always be happy to share what I know with anyone, anytime.

Reactions: 1 user
Donovan,
I couldn't say it better, or any different than my fellow members. Your work just blows me away. Keep up the great work, my friend. Your work is an inspiration to us all.
Jack
Once again, you're too kind. Thanks for the words of encouragement, the positive feedback I get from you guys makes all the time spent writing and posting pics worthwhile. I still am surprised when guys say I serve as a source of inspiration - to me, I'm just another dude working on his car same as any other. But the fact that I have been able to inspire others has come as a pleasant surprise indeed.
:-)
Thanks man.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor