The mystery of the Pontiac Aztek solved...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Was it Survivor, or Oprah where they awarded Azteks to the winners and there was stunned silence by the recipients. Dead air. Go to commercial.

It was Survivor. It was Colby from the Second Survivor. His actual Job was automotive restoration/customization. Here a Picture of his Camaro from 2005:
attachment.php

He had a pasted on fake smile when he actually took delivery in Dallas, but he admitted he was just given a vehicle with a $31K sticker by Pontiac, so he wasn't going to say anything bad about it (other than it was "too practical" and got "too good of gas mileage").

When some one asked what he was going to do with it he said "I'll probably stick it on E-bay"

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
So now we know where the Aztek really came from.

This brings back memories of seeing these things roll off the assembly line. A supplier of ours was shutting the GM Aztec / Rendezvous plant down on a regular basis so my employer sent me to manage the suppliers technical team. When GM's line goes down time is charged by the minute and is VERY expensive. I ended up living there for 3 years to keep our supplier afloat. In the end we back charged the supplier for all my living expenses. Although stressful, it was a great experience y aprendi mucho Español. I would definitely do it again.

generalmotors.jpg

GM-Ramos-Arizpe.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I visited a supplier in Queretaro, Mexico a few times and it is one the few places in Mexico where I would live (especially now that the overall Mexican murder rate is currently at level "Syria"). Queretaro is Mexico's "Aerospace" city so many of the employers drug test per FAA requirements so the cartels don't have any business, there.

I would like to do that drive from Durango to Mazatlan.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
This brings back memories of seeing these things roll off the assembly line. A supplier of ours was shutting the GM Aztec / Rendezvous plant down on a regular basis so my employer sent me to manage the suppliers technical team. When GM's line goes down time is charged by the minute and is VERY expensive. I ended up living there for 3 years to keep our supplier afloat. In the end we back charged the supplier for all my living expenses. Although stressful, it was a great experience y aprendi mucho Español. I would definitely do it again.

generalmotors.jpg

GM-Ramos-Arizpe.jpg
We're those box cars what they hid the Aztecs in for asthetic purposes? :)

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
It was Survivor. It was Colby from the Second Survivor. His actual Job was automotive restoration/customization. Here a Picture of his Camaro from 2005:
attachment.php

He had a pasted on fake smile when he actually took delivery in Dallas, but he admitted he was just given a vehicle with a $31K sticker by Pontiac, so he wasn't going to say anything bad about it (other than it was "too practical" and got "too good of gas mileage").

When some one asked what he was going to do with it he said "I'll probably stick it on E-bay"

I vividly remember that episode, it showed off all the features and he and his mom camped in it. because he had won a certain competition that week.

I didnt think they were too wild (I was young) but did remember thinking they were a prime example of GMs plastic tastic poor fitting panels and interiors at the time. New cars have come so far in the last 10-15 years

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I visited a supplier in Queretaro, Mexico a few times and it is one the few places in Mexico where I would live (especially now that the overall Mexican murder rate is currently at level "Syria"). Queretaro is Mexico's "Aerospace" city so many of the employers drug test per FAA requirements so the cartels don't have any business, there.

I would like to do that drive from Durango to Mazatlan.

Yes Queteraro is a nice place but many Chilangos (people from Mexico City) have been moving there so as of late crime and traffic is up. I am working on a Mercedes program there now and visit every couple of months. The food is phenomenal.

Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Yes Queteraro is a nice place but many Chilangos (people from Mexico City) have been moving there so as of late crime and traffic is up. I am working on a Mercedes program there now and visit every couple of months. The food is phenomenal.

I was there about 10 years ago and it was a really nice little town at the time. I went there right after the new airport was built out in the sticks and driving in past the truckloads of armed soldiers, in a clapped out Nissan Maxima Taxi, I got a "Mad Max" vibe, but the town itself was really nice.

With a corrupt, one party government, it is hard to have (and then keep) nice things, I guess.

Mexico is so diverse that even born and raised Mexicans don't know a lot of things about Mexico. I had an engineer that was born and raised on the border in Matamoros, and when I told her they eat ant eggs in Queretaro, she thought I was making fun of Mexicans. I'm like no, they eat them and I had a plate, too. They were actually good.

If I was president of Mexico, I would immediately abandon the language of the Imperial, Colonialist Oppresor (Spanish) in favor of mandatory English. The rich and the super rich in Mexico all speak English. That alone should make the poor go hmmmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor