PA
Were you given instructions on how to drive the car during the break-in
period?

They put a used motor in it.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Why was I under the impression that this was a "NEW" engine? :?

sh1ft

Apprentice
Feb 25, 2011
Dont quit, Adapt. These cars generally cost you a little blood sweat and tears, that is what made and makes them so great.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
sh1ft said:
Dont quit, Adapt. These cars generally cost you a little blood sweat and tears, that is what made and makes them so great.

Yep, they do. Always something with mine, but ya gotta love them. also this car has taught david some good mechanical ideas, if ya wanna look at it that way.

CAPERKEV

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2011
check the bendix in that starter, it sounds like the starter is draining all battery power while turning or trying to turn, can you turn motor over by hand???????????? pull the plugs an see if it turns over bu hand, that will eliminate or point you in right direction

CAPERKEV

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2011
just watched the video again, the motor isnt seized, it made a full turn on starter, but very fast power drain, you can check the starter with booster cables, ground starter to ground cable, hold starter tight on floor, use red cable end touch center bolt an the small selinoid if starter bad it will just pop bendix out an not spin, if it pops out an spins freely with no noise except usual starter noise then you have other issues, do a tdc check, bring number 1 cylinder up, take dizzy cap off an see if rotor points to number 1 if not you jumped timing an may have a bad chain.. did you get any odd pinging before the motor shut down???????did you lose any anti freeze???? is tail pipes having a whitish film on them on the inside right at tips????????

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Peter said:
my guess is that is the starter was starting it before, its probably not the issue because the car shut off so abruptly on you. I would start by charging the battery and making sure you working on full power. If that's not the problem it might be time to assume the worst and that you overheated it now your clearances are all messed up because of that. I hate to jump to conclusions like that but the guys at the shop recommended some gauges, there was a reason they mentioned it.

Yeah but the bad part is they mentioned it after it broke down and I called them to tell them it blew.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Evan's 85 said:
Peter said:
my guess is that is the starter was starting it before, its probably not the issue because the car shut off so abruptly on you. I would start by charging the battery and making sure you working on full power. If that's not the problem it might be time to assume the worst and that you overheated it now your clearances are all messed up because of that. I hate to jump to conclusions like that but the guys at the shop recommended some gauges, there was a reason they mentioned it.

I would charge the battery as well. idk I think he would honestly know if the car overheated by the radiator steaming and or boiling over as well as the smell. So, I'm not gonna say it really did overheat.

Also, David did it have plenty of oil, antifreeze in it when and after this happened?

Yeah there was no steam, smoke any type of boiling noise nothing.
It just died on me and that was it.
It did have oil and anti freeze in it when I took it out that day yes.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
ok, have u tried charging the battery?

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Why would you pay another shop to fix this after all that work????

I paid a guy a while before they ever touched it to fix it.
I was dealing with this problem when the guys with the other engine fooled with it.

How could you not care about this. How much oil and anti freeze did you have to put in it? You should have taken the car right back with these issues, not after you took the car out and blew it up with no gauges in it. Don't want to sound mean here David but this is lookin like a self inflicted wound.

Mainly cause I was just overly excited about actually having my car, Its not much for oil so i didn't think none of it I bought it myself cause I was just excited to actually have a car now.
I put a gallon of each into it.
The gauges was never an issue until I blew it.
I understand it all sounds like I did this to myself.
But like I told them.
I gave you 1100 of my money literally all I had to my name, I am not worried about anything other than jumping into my car that I paid you 1100 to fix and drive it wherever I wanted to go.
But I guess they wanted me to buy every extra part ontop of the money I gave them which I thought would be used for extra parts as they stated before.
Comes to find out they used almost every part off my old 350 on this "new" 350 I saw the engine on the floor all the way to the bare block.
So they used a bad engine for spare parts on a new engine?
I asked them about this and they had nothing to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor