The Purple Monkey Dishwasher TBSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Can't say I'm thrilled to hear that. The wife's 5.3 Envoy has 104k on it and I've been procrastinating.

I did plugs at 200k and it's due again with 270k on my 5.3 rainier but honestly the rear main seal is leaking so bad and the oil pressure fluctuates because the pickup o-ring must be cracked that it cavitates sometimes, so I am beyond caring about the little things.

But yeah the job sucks. I think mine had OE plugs (or at least VERY old ones) because I snapped 3 or 4 boots off the wire sets when I did plugs. I'd order a new set of wires too when you do them.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I did plugs at 200k and it's due again with 270k on my 5.3 rainier but honestly the rear main seal is leaking so bad and the oil pressure fluctuates because the pickup o-ring must be cracked that it cavitates sometimes, so I am beyond caring about the little things.

But yeah the job sucks. I think mine had OE plugs (or at least VERY old ones) because I snapped 3 or 4 boots off the wire sets when I did plugs. I'd order a new set of wires too when you do them.

The boots can suck it. I don't understand why they suck so hard on these LS motors. I have junkyard spares on hand and will likely cave on new wires when I destroy at least 3 doing the job but don't lose up time on the rig.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The saga continues...

EasyPhotoEditor_11052021_083230.jpg
EasyPhotoEditor_11052021_083039.jpg

Let's see what they come back with.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I've gotten loose spark plugs from rock, scummit, and amazon. It seems that some bean counter decided that the money they save in proper packaging would be better suited to some suit's pocket. Do they not realize that they are fragile?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I've gotten loose spark plugs from rock, scummit, and amazon. It seems that some bean counter decided that the money they save in proper packaging would be better suited to some suit's pocket. Do they not realize that they are fragile?

No, they do not. And they aren't paying $2 a piece for them so the potential loss is minimal.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It was a helluva slog in 30*C weather with our first humidex of the year, direct sunlight, and mosquitoes. Just another day in the Infantry. This is not an easy vehicle to work on, especially with all the mods made. That said, she's kinda back together! The engine is all sealed up again - which should keep the chipmunks and spiders from moving in. But, also needs to come apart some to service the DS plugs.

About the only thing worth sharing is how knackered the header flange was after many Winters. It was all flakey and pock marked from corrosion. Fortunately I just bought a bench top belt sander so I unfooked it a bit better than some sand paper and rolocs... like I had started with... sigh...

Tom Hanks Dipshit GIF

PXL_20210519_175256981.jpg

It trued up nicely. Put a little smear of Ultra Copper over the remaining ugly and slammed in with a fresh gasket.

Did I mention this thing was running on TR6s?! WTF was my cheap *ss thinking? They measured out at .039" after good fee years of service. Four BR6s are in now gapped at 0.035".

I'm a maniac... a maniac...

maniac GIF

After I am done servicing the other side I can pop the blower back on and set it to kill. 12 psi on a 6 rib setup - why not? I did it before I might take a moment and modify the first section of charge pipe since I have the means to weld it now. Give me a few more weeks...

Reactions: 6 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
fragile a christmas story GIF

must be Italian..

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well it's all back together and running... sorta.

Popped in the other four plugs and started reassembly. Those TR6s held up well.

PXL_20210524_152116349.jpg

Buttoned it up and set to tracking down a loose under hood connection to the BCM and HVAC controls. Wonder if it's been like that for the last five years? I tried cycling the key and the ignition switch and it wouldn't start (security maybe). In a fit of rage I hit the remote start and it fired right up. Gaaah!

I threw my hands up and walked away - leaving the battery to charge.

So we took the HellKitty to get some ice cream. That'll show it.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Rip the BCM and the rest of that unneeded computer nanny out by the roots. I know how much you enjoy wiring. If I keep my truck long enough, it will be wired much more like a G-Body with me if full control. When I turn on the F-ing A/C that is not a request to the BCM!!!!

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Rip the BCM and the rest of that unneeded computer nanny out by the roots. I know how much you enjoy wiring. If I keep my truck long enough, it will be wired much more like a G-Body with me if full control. When I turn on the F-ing A/C that is not a request to the BCM!!!!

Motec!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor