theoldsone daily build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Please do Support my build lol
The chrome ones look good but I wanted to keep a two tone look.

View attachment 51826

Got the rear structural support sheet metal. Those are the rear frame mount floors. And the trunk drop offs. Next will be the rear cross support. Keep in mind all of this is being replaced because of rust. Rusty rust. Let's reflect on how bad the rust really was shall we...
View attachment 51827
This was at the very beginning when I got it. Drove for half a summer and the Crack litteraly wrapped around near the outer edge. When I saw that... NOPE! Parked it and here I am lol.
Wow, i luckily only had to patch a small area on the passenger side rear frame due to rust, other than quarters, etc. You are definitely going the right route though replacing it! I took my whole frame and underbody down to metal, etched it, and brushed a couple coats of por15 on with the wonderful help of my brother n law! Should never rust again...hopefully lol! Keep on grinding, looks good!

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
wow, and I'm complaining about a slightly wacky front frame. At least my rear is still in one piece and not rusted through or cracked. Looking at your beginning photo... I may want to sand all the "treatment" off of mine and see what they covered up, then hit it with some POR 15. Probably wont, but the thought is there.
Roll the dice and you may find a monster lol it is what it is. Never fun to realize that your car is a rust bucket with shiny paint but hey not for long

Reactions: 1 user

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
Mines a not so rusty bucket, and not so nice paint. Right fender needs some attention ASAP, the Landau? roof needs desperate attention, but rust wise, not so bad, so far. Rear end is still intact, just wish I new the front was a little out of wack. I'll have to take some pics of the front tires to show you what I mean. Passengers side nicely centered, Drivers side about an inch away from the from the front of the wheel well. Things I didn't notice because the rest looked good and it sounded nice. Which BTW, sound is also deceiving. The 350 was dyslexic (305) and it was loud because... well... custom exhaust is not supposed to be custom cut and wrapped to fix the leaks. It's more better now and quieter with headers and actually welded exhaust, same muffler, same exit, just new welds and some piping in the middle. Eventually it will be new from headers back. But I ramble. And damn does that '68 300 mirror look nice. I should polish it and buff the 2 foot square around it and take another pic for my profile. Or maybe just have another beer?

Anyways.. Olds1, keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to me and while I don't want to hack my frame for wider rear tires (yet) just seeing what you've done with your Cutty is giving me ideas. The 2 piston calipers will be done eventually, rear discs has always been a dream of mine (if you figure out how to put disc brakes all around on a '68 Chrysler 300 with stock parts you'll be a god among mortals) and knowing that rear sections of sheet metal are available for these G-bodies gives me hope. Maybe someone makes the front frame rails too? Would be great if I could get rid of it's crooked grin and get the drivers side front wheel centered again. But if not... I'm still looking for a diesel standard in decent shape to pull the transmission and pedal out of. If I'm lucky (probably not) it will have a good straight frame under it. And now.. ONto that next beer! :friday:

ps, sorry for the book

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Mines a not so rusty bucket, and not so nice paint. Right fender needs some attention ASAP, the Landau? roof needs desperate attention, but rust wise, not so bad, so far. Rear end is still intact, just wish I new the front was a little out of wack. I'll have to take some pics of the front tires to show you what I mean. Passengers side nicely centered, Drivers side about an inch away from the from the front of the wheel well. Things I didn't notice because the rest looked good and it sounded nice. Which BTW, sound is also deceiving. The 350 was dyslexic (305) and it was loud because... well... custom exhaust is not supposed to be custom cut and wrapped to fix the leaks. It's more better now and quieter with headers and actually welded exhaust, same muffler, same exit, just new welds and some piping in the middle. Eventually it will be new from headers back. But I ramble. And damn does that '68 300 mirror look nice. I should polish it and buff the 2 foot square around it and take another pic for my profile. Or maybe just have another beer?

Anyways.. Olds1, keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to me and while I don't want to hack my frame for wider rear tires (yet) just seeing what you've done with your Cutty is giving me ideas. The 2 piston calipers will be done eventually, rear discs has always been a dream of mine (if you figure out how to put disc brakes all around on a '68 Chrysler 300 with stock parts you'll be a god among mortals) and knowing that rear sections of sheet metal are available for these G-bodies gives me hope. Maybe someone makes the front frame rails too? Would be great if I could get rid of it's crooked grin and get the drivers side front wheel centered again. But if not... I'm still looking for a diesel standard in decent shape to pull the transmission and pedal out of. If I'm lucky (probably not) it will have a good straight frame under it. And now.. ONto that next beer! :friday:

ps, sorry for the book
Well hope I don't burst your bubble lol what's coming next isn't good

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
So it's over for the Olds Ladies and gentlemen. Sorry to say this is the nail on the coffin for this 87 cutlass. It's tough and bitter to accept defeat but rust won this battle. It's on the trunk, on the wheel wells, on the doors, entire floor pan, and I can't I just won't do it.

20160614_172146.jpg
20160614_172151.jpg

But it's not completely over. I'm looking for a cutlass to put my frame underneath, tubs, paint. Came to realize all this yesterday...sadly

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
So it's over for the Olds Ladies and gentlemen. Sorry to say this is the nail on the coffin for this 87 cutlass. It's tough and bitter to accept defeat but rust won this battle. It's on the trunk, on the wheel wells, on the doors, entire floor pan, and I can't I just won't do it.

View attachment 51969 View attachment 51970

But it's not completely over. I'm looking for a cutlass to put my frame underneath, tubs, paint. Came to realize all this yesterday...sadly
Damnit man that blows!!!! It's almost july 4th, send her off in style! On the bright side, at least you have a badass rolling chassis just needing a good donor body! I hope it all works out.
Scott.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I made the same somber decision with an 88 t top a few years ago, just kept finding more and more rot. Sucks, but hey you gotta do what u gotta do.

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
ah, that does suck. Keep all the good parts, right down to the dash if you have room to store it. You never know what you'll find and what it'll need. But like Injectedcutty said, you do have one sweet rolling chassis.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Send the body over to EME_Mack. Seriously, sorry you are at this point. You'll be able to find a good solid body. Reach out to L.A.X-Rated. You would have to ship it but it would be worth it in my opinion to get a rust free California or southwest body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor