this I why I never let anyone touch/work on my car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
Stuff like this really pi$$es me of.
If I were you I would get the car mobile again and go to a graphics shop and get some decals made in the brightest colored vinyl that the shop has. Get the decal to say that the damage was caused by shops name and put some great big arrows pointing to all the damage and then drive it all around town and park across the street from the shop every chance you get. It will sure get attention and let people know that the shop is not a respectable business and will not own up to mistakes.
I would also file a complaint with the BBB and contact a different lawyer. Contacting the local media is also a very good idea. Don't just lie down and take it. Stand up and make the shop owners life hell. Don't take "NO" for an answer.

Chris

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
What the others are saying.

Shops almost always say it's not their fault at first, because most people drop it at that point. I have a few stories along those lines. But if they had your car apart and 4 days later the flippin wheel falls off, there would seem to be a connection between the two, ay? I would think a judge or jury might agree, and the threat of that might make the shop take care of it.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
At the end of the day I hope you get back in the groove and get it together again. sh*t, if you live nearby, I've got a fender and inner you could have.
Bad mouth the shop any chance you get, even if there isn't enough legal proof or too much time has past, you could spend some time outside their shop telling people the facts of what happened after you went to that shop. Word of mouth is big with shops, at least in my world.
Btw, what was the name of that shop? If they're anywhere near me, I'll pay a visit myself, just for sh*ts and giggles.
Seriously though, you've put alot into that car, get back at it and enjoy. Don't dwell on it too long, learn, move forward 8)

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
DoubleV said:
Gutlass said:
Well turns out the alignment shop didnt tighten the upper control arm the wobble snapped three studs. later that day I went ti the shop and told them what happened and they refused to pay for the damages, they say its not their fault and they will not pay!

If they didn't do the work right then how is it not their fault?

You see what's happening here don't you? They're just betting that you'll just walk away like sucker, and that appears to be exactly what you're doing. Bottom line is they ****ed up and you deserve compensation for that, so take control of the situation and do what needs to be done.

I then contacted a lawyer and he said I have no case.

In what way do you not have a case? Talk to a different lawyer.

Ditto to what he said. I have no idea how you could not have a case. I'd talk to some more lawyers. Do you have a receipt for the work?

Gutlass

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2009
Sorry for not getting back at you guys, so I talked to my dads lawyer friend and same thing no case..problem is I paid cash, most shops down here when paid cash charge no tax so I paid cash to save a lil change. Since paid cash I did even get a receipt.ssince this was a couple months ago theres no way of even proving I was there. Also when the accident happened I didnt call the cops so no report was filled. Put it to you like this I was on the side of a major highway here in miami sitting on my car for about an hour and not a single cop stopped to help or even see what happend.in fact a firetruck drove by and didn't stop about 4 cops one had even pulled a guy over bout 50 feet from me and didnt even bother looking my way. I guess that shows you what kind of people we have in miami. Its a damn shame but looks like im at a lost here and need pay up. At the end of day the f**k ups at the shop know what they did and I guesss karma will have to deal with it from here. The way I see it's just an excuse to finaly do the body work and get the car painted already..been putting it off long .

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't understand how a wobble from an upper that was not tightened would cause 3 studs to break and the wheel separates from the car. If they didn't install the wheels then it I would think the last one who installed the wheel over torqued the studs. I've had one of my tubular uppers come loose and it didn't cause the wheel to fall off

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Gutlass said:
Sorry for not getting back at you guys, so I talked to my dads lawyer friend and same thing no case..problem is I paid cash, most shops down here when paid cash charge no tax so I paid cash to save a lil change. Since paid cash I did even get a receipt.ssince this was a couple months ago theres no way of even proving I was there. Also when the accident happened I didnt call the cops so no report was filled. Put it to you like this I was on the side of a major highway here in miami sitting on my car for about an hour and not a single cop stopped to help or even see what happend.in fact a firetruck drove by and didn't stop about 4 cops one had even pulled a guy over bout 50 feet from me and didnt even bother looking my way. I guess that shows you what kind of people we have in miami. Its a damn shame but looks like im at a lost here and need pay up. At the end of day the f**k ups at the shop know what they did and I guesss karma will have to deal with it from here. The way I see it's just an excuse to finaly do the body work and get the car painted already..been putting it off long .

Now I see why your lawyers say you don't have a case - you have no evidence. That's the downside of saving a bit by paying cash.
Over here any retail business has a legal obligation to do work in a competent manner, car repairs, construction, vetinary surgeons, any business that sells special skills the general public might have no knowledge of, but as over there some like to save a bit by paying cash. Then if things go wrong they are in the same position as you.
Most larger businesses only operate "through the books" with a paper trail of all activities, it's the small concerns that might operate on the fringes.

I'm surprised the highway patrols don't check out why your car is parked on a busy road, over here they would make sure you had organised at least getting the car recovered.

Roger.

Gutlass

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2009
pontiacgp said:
I don't understand how a wobble from an upper that was not tightened would cause 3 studs to break and the wheel separates from the car. If they didn't install the wheels then it I would think the last one who installed the wheel over torqued the studs. I've had one of my tubular uppers come loose and it didn't cause the wheel to fall off

I installed the wheel as ive done to all my cars my whole life and just about everyone I've seen has done it, with an impact gun . Never had a problem doing it like that, never seen someone have a problem doing it like that. Im not gonna lie I should have put new studs like I wanted to but in a pinch for time I didnt pick them up. Maybe it just happened to be that the studs were defected from being old and the wobble pushed it to its limit, but just because you haven't seen it happen doesn't mean its impossible. If you ask me driving with over and inch of play on and a-arm at sixty is enough to stress the studs. Maybe the word wobble is an understatement of how it was saking after I took off off but I could barely control it from how much the steering wheel was turning.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
What wheels were on the car, Gutlass? They didn't happen to be BMW wheels, were they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor