thoughts on transmission cooler location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
so my trans is bad and i want to go with a jegs turbo 350,they said i would have to have a cooler for warranty.not a problem i want to add one anyway. I am considering making a custom front valance with it monted into a open plenum bow to force cool air through. also considering doing the same thing on each side to tap into for a ram air setup with the cooler in the middle.clearance is not a problem since my bumper sits 14 inches off the ground.other than looking cool do you think it worth the time and energy ?

my86442

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2011
Nashua, Iowa
gwhiz said:
so my trans is bad and i want to go with a jegs turbo 350,they said i would have to have a cooler for warranty.not a problem i want to add one anyway. I am considering making a custom front valance with it monted into a open plenum bow to force cool air through. also considering doing the same thing on each side to tap into for a ram air setup with the cooler in the middle.clearance is not a problem since my bumper sits 14 inches off the ground.other than looking cool do you think it worth the time and energy ?

For the amount of money that you'll be spending on that transmission, I say yes. put that energy into making a mount for your cooler. the 94-02 dodge rams and dakotas had a front mount bar that held the factory transmission and oil coolers. If you dont feel like making one, that could be something to look for in a junk yard or something

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
yeah i am going to junkyard this week to look for any thing that can be modified or at least get some inspiration.i just wonder if it will make a differance in cooling to justifiy the effort.

my86442

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2011
Nashua, Iowa
gwhiz said:
yeah i am going to junkyard this week to look for any thing that can be modified or at least get some inspiration.i just wonder if it will make a differance in cooling to justifiy the effort.

It'll make a difference in the response of the transmission since your not running the fluid in just the radiator. You can also mount a small cooling fan in front of the cooler too that will help with cooling. It did this to mine and the temp gauge never went any further than 215. The normal temp for a transmission is around 230.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
if your not using a fan do you ever have to worry about overheating the trans in stop and go traffic or exteamly hot days?never used a externall cooler before.

my86442

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2011
Nashua, Iowa
Nope. The cooler i have is the biggest one oriellys sold as aftermarket. A cooler is just like a radiator. the heat disapates thru the lines and the fins help get rid of the heat and hold cooler air coming in. The only time i turn on the fan is in stop and go traffic or in town running. Most times I forget about it. Before i put the cooler on, the times between shifts were slower. Now that it stays cool, i have better shifting and faster accelerations. Trust me, you'll like the cooler, The price might be a little high but its definatly worth the money.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Keep in mind that your engine's radiator fan is also drawing air through the trans cooler so even if you don't have an auxiliary fan on the trans cooler there is still air moving through it.

I have an 11"x11"x1.75" trans cooler on the '81. The TH-2004R is plumbed directly to the cooler, bypassing the stock radiator cooler completely.

On a 95*F humid summer day, stop and go traffic and 3000 stall converter the temp doesn't get above 180*-190*F.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I put a Derale on my 2004r and ran it serial series into the rad cooler then into the derale. My trans NEVER gets over 180 with the ac running on a 95 degree day in traffic. I put in in the spot in front of the wheel well, the expense is well worth it, about $200.00, but it is thermostatically controled fan operated.

Attachments

• cooler.jpg
    cooler.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,490

my86442

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2011
Nashua, Iowa
tobyp said:
I put a Derale on my 2004r and ran it serial series into the rad cooler then into the derale. My trans NEVER gets over 180 with the ac running on a 95 degree day in traffic. I put in in the spot in front of the wheel well, the expense is well worth it, about $200.00, but it is thermostatically controled fan operated.

I seen that one in a jegs mag at orielly's. Nice set up. I went with Derale Universal, it was about 100 bucks cheaper but does what i need it to do in my all stock v6.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
When mounting my transmission cooler in my Cutlass, no fancy brackets or any such thing needed to be done. Just look on the passenger side lower corner of the core support. There's a raised area with a hole as shown circled in red in the 2nd attached pic. A basic clip on nut like these http://www.mcmaster.com/#clip-on-nuts/=lbs5tc fit right over the hole. Just bolt one end of the cooler to that. Line up another hole on the cooler and drill a hole in the core support in the area shown circled in blue. Add another clip on nut and something for a spacer ( you need a spacer because there's no raised area on the core support there ) and bolt on the other end of the cooler.

You now have a cooler that's mounted right behind the bumper as shown in the 1st pic outlined in red. Plenty of air flow right to the cooler!

When I first got my car I didn't want to butcher up my transmission lines when mounting a transmission cooler so I didn't bother with installing one. Then I realized you could just buy the transmission cooler with all the hardware included, and you don't need to do this because they come with the needed fittings. I then noticed there was/is a perfect mounting area for a cooler too. Had I known this stuff before, I would have done it earlier but I read too many internet stories on everyone 'needing' to cut their transmission lines and having 'limited mounting space'. I now see those stories are hogwash!

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 770
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor