Times are changin according to cost of G's locally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they go up in value. I bought my El Camino in 1983 for $2800, and I probably have close to 30 K invested in it now.

Attachments

• 1891475_10206650586691776_6959756045049473023_o.jpg
    1891475_10206650586691776_6959756045049473023_o.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 189
what about 1983 Chevrolet Malibu Station Wagon all original/rustfree Ohio car with 3.8 229 V6/TH350? i been looking everywhere i cant find other one.

I have been saying this for at least 15 years = I feel that G Bodys will be like 55-57 Chevy cars. At one point they were real cheap and easy to find, then they become expensive and rarely seen on the road. I remember in the late 90s, I had several G bodys in my yard. Some were parts cars and others were future builders. I remember buying an 86 Regal for $100 that did not run. It had a stopped up filter at the carb and the sock was deteriorated in the tank. Drove it for awhile after that. I bought an 87 turbo T in 1999 with a primered door and fender for $2500. My banker called me one day in about 1995 and asked me if I'd be interested in an 85 Regal Limited that his mom just wrecked for $500. It had 33,000 miles on it and had always been garaged. It still smelled new. The frame was bent so it got parted out. I put the 3.8V6 and trans in my 46 Plymouth business coupe. I turned down an 84 Hurst Olds because I wanted a black 83. I think it was $2000. When we moved from the country in 2001, I called the local salvage and they took 7 G bodys. Fast forward to now. I check craigslist daily and rarely see cheap G bodys. Hurst Olds are bringing as much as Buick Grand Nationals. Never thought I'd see that! Anyways, if you've found a dead G body sittin somewhere and you got the room to store it, I think the investment is there. Around here there are LOTS of dirt tracks. Most of the local G bodys have been ruined and rarely do I see any on the road.

I just picked up a clean, hi mileage, 1 owner '79 Regal for $1300. The entire driveline was rebuilt in 1989, and has only 4,000 miles since. I've been surfing ebay to find some interior parts. $239 for USED lower door panels, $100 for USED B-Pillar trim, $50 for USED sunvisors that need reupholstery. I went to Almac wrecking in Anacortes, a small independent yard & picked up door panels & pillar trim for $15 & camaro sun visors for $1 apiece. The '81 monte was the only G-body in the place. He said he used to get 3-4 a week, the monte is the only 1 he's taken in in the last 2 years. I think I'm going to start hoarding part! lol

• Agree
Reactions: Clone TIE Pilot
Times are changing but I feel G-bodies are not pulling the money they should. Cash for clunkers took most of the cars from that era, insurance companies got in the salvage game, and junkyards are rapidly disappearing. Despite becoming rare the G-bodies were never considered muscle cars (exc GN) and I don't think they will ever pull the big bucks. I see G-bodies w/ extremely low mi.'s that are bargains not selling. I personally had a beautiful 81 Regal w/ 21,000 original mi that wouldn't sell till I gave it away. I currently have an 81 GP for sale for 6 months w/o even an inquiry. Also have an 86 turbo regal body and frame for $350 w/title no hits. I believe the collector car market has peeked and is declining but it will always be there.
Still have the regal? And where are you located

The uptick in aftermarket parts (sheet metal especially) may drive the price of these cars up a little. I agree that the majority of the lines were made with non performance in mind, so if you don't have a muscle car base for the purists to restore and sell as an investment, they will never be in the Camaro, Chevelle, Mustang range. Still, they are getting hard to find cheap, and the junk yards are drying up with G-Body parts cars. Driving an hour in any direction, there is only one yard with a G in it, and it's picked clean. If I had the money and space, I would prob start putting a couple good examples aside for the future.

• Agree
Reactions: Clone TIE Pilot
The uptick in aftermarket parts (sheet metal especially) may drive the price of these cars up a little. I agree that the majority of the lines were made with non performance in mind, so if you don't have a muscle car base for the purists to restore and sell as an investment, they will never be in the Camaro, Chevelle, Mustang range. Still, they are getting hard to find cheap, and the junk yards are drying up with G-Body parts cars. Driving an hour in any direction, there is only one yard with a G in it, and it's picked clean. If I had the money and space, I would prob start putting a couple good examples aside for the future.

All the junkyards in my area have slim pickings to nothing for G bodies, plenty of F bodies though. There may be a uptick in new parts for some areas of these cars but many parts are being discontinued right and left, currently there are no quarter glass or rear glass replacements being made. But I know some would argue you don't need those parts anyway, just because they don't need them doesn't mean nobody needs such parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor