Timing curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
jetsetw31 said:
Oh ok. That could be the float. Since it been rebuilt, you should be ok with the Airhorn gasket coming off with out tearing. As far as the coil goes, was it ever dropped? Coils are VERY sensitive to damage from blows.
T

Not that i recall, don't know why it was going bad. It's ok if the gasket tears, i usually have extra thicker gaskets but right now i don't so i haven't got around to checking the float level yet.

Scorpio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2013
I have Dave's Small Body HEI dizzy. Mech spring set blue/ silver. Has Crane 9960-1 adjustable vac. Dave recommended initial at +12, vac on at 22-24 and full mech (vac off) at 36. Blue/ silver supposed to start at 800 and full advance at 2800 (Crane literature). Got the 12-23 no problem. My question is with full neck (vac plugged). I hit +36 about 2500 RPM but it keeps climbing leveling off about +44 at 3000+ RPM. Engine builder wants total timing in 32-36 range. I thought the spring set modified beginning and end of mech advance, not the ultimate amount of advance. Backing full mech down to 36 would drop initial to 4?! I'm brand new to timing so I may not grasp this fully. Any advice is welcome as I don't want to screw up this new performance SBC. BTW has MSD ignition so can't use modern dial type timing lights. Thanks - Jim

Scorpio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2013
Above should read full mech vs full neck. Also, I set initial when at about 700 RPM.

Scorpio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2013
Another thing b4 I get questions. I use old school timing light with out advance dial. MSD tech says this only way to time their ignition systems. Multiple spark at low and extended spark at high RPM confuses the modern lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor