Tips for changing intake manifold

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Where does the thermostat go in the whole mess of the intake? Sorry I'm not learned on this topic very thoroughly. And cool, thanks on the bolts and RTV.
It's under the water neck which is also called a thermostat housing.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The thermostat sits in the intake under the water neck. Get whatever came stock in the 305, 180F or 195F. The spring part or back part of the thermostat sits in the intake. Get a SPREAD BORE (two big holes, two little holes) base gasket for a quadrajet. Don't matter what year, they all used the same type. New air filter if yours is dirty. Mark EVERY line going to the carb or take really good pictures. Parts store should have intake bolts, if not AlloyBoltz (google em) or Summit will have new ones. USE ANTI SEIZE on every bolt! Copper or aluminum. Use thread sealer and antiseize on bolts that will come into contact with water or oil.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
While you're at it, check the condition of your plug wires and spark plugs.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Muchos graçias everyone :p wish me luck haha. I'll get all the parts soon.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I personally do not like the chrome thermostat housings. I do like the O-ring design however,, but I find that the housing tends to warp and leak over time.
I went back to using the cast iron OEM type water neck/ housing and never had a problem since.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
the hose block off ( if needed ) should be 1/2" pipe thread. The blockoff on my intake came from the HD Plumbing Aisle.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The thermostat sits in the intake under the water neck. Get whatever came stock in the 305, 180F or 195F. The spring part or back part of the thermostat sits in the intake. Get a SPREAD BORE (two big holes, two little holes) base gasket for a quadrajet. Don't matter what year, they all used the same type. New air filter if yours is dirty. Mark EVERY line going to the carb or take really good pictures. Parts store should have intake bolts, if not AlloyBoltz (google em) or Summit will have new ones. USE ANTI SEIZE on every bolt! Copper or aluminum. Use thread sealer and antiseize on bolts that will come into contact with water or oil.
For the Q-Jet gasket, get a later type to match. The earlier intakes have a cross over under the front 2 barrels. I have a '67 327 intake with this cross over.
I personally do not like the chrome thermostat housings. I do like the O-ring design however,, but I find that the housing tends to warp and leak over time.
I went back to using the cast iron OEM type water neck/ housing and never had a problem since.
Mr. Gasket has a reusable gasket for the thermostat housing. Most parts store have them in the speed goodies section.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Sorry to bring a thread back to life haha. The intake came in last week and I got all the parts Ill need to put her on over spring break when I come back home from college. Looking forward to it! I have a feeling the hardest part will be getting the original one off the car. Also went Plum Crazy :p I think Id like to paint the entire engine that color once I get a crate motor so I decided Ill get this little part out of the way. BTW the silly putty if for measuring hood clearance, not for me to play with when I'm bored lmao. The Edelbrock paper recommended it.
IMG_8741.JPG

IMG_8619.JPG
IMG_8721.JPG
IMG_8737.JPG
IMG_8738.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor