Tips for changing intake manifold

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Luke, you have done a good job asking for help, and gathering your parts & install supplies. I have tips for painting the intake. So, if you want to apply another coat.... cool. If not, you'll have the knowledge for next time. When you tape off openings with "edges" ( carb , thermostat housing, distributor, etc ) use a file to remove the excess tape. This will leave crisp tape lines, and you'll get the best results. When doing holes ( heater hoses, etc ) just wad up some paper towels and plug the holes, this will give you the best results. And before you start, it's always a good idea to use a Scochbrite pad and degreaser to clean the intake, and promote adhesion for your HIGH HEAT paint. Good luck with the install!

Reactions: 1 user

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Luke, you have done a good job asking for help, and gathering your parts & install supplies. I have tips for painting the intake. So, if you want to apply another coat.... cool. If not, you'll have the knowledge for next time. When you tape off openings with "edges" ( carb , thermostat housing, distributor, etc ) use a file to remove the excess tape. This will leave crisp tape lines, and you'll get the best results. When doing holes ( heater hoses, etc ) just wad up some paper towels and plug the holes, this will give you the best results. And before you start, it's always a good idea to use a Scochbrite pad and degreaser to clean the intake, and promote adhesion for your HIGH HEAT paint. Good luck with the install!
Cool bro, thank you. For things with edges I just used a razor to cut the tape to shape and I think that worked pretty well, but I think the paper towel idea would work good for the holes. I'll go back and hit them all one more time just so it looks more consistent. I like the tip about cleaning it first too. Thanks!

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Just went back and painted the bare metal spots, looks better now. Thanks jamcar

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
nice job with the paint and getting all the parts together, the only thing I see missing is the thread sealant for the heater hose fittings....

Reactions: 2 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
nice job with the paint and getting all the parts together, the only thing I see missing is the thread sealant for the heater hose fittings....
Shoot, add that to the grocery list haha. Completely forgot. Maybe Ill go get some loctite tomorrow.. Thanks

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Just went back and painted the bare metal spots, looks better now. Thanks jamcar
I was hoping you would. I'm sure it looks great.

• Agree

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Luke, you have done a good job asking for help, and gathering your parts & install supplies.

I agree. You seem eager to learn and willing to ask for help when you need it. You also seem to have a good attitude about listening to the advice that was given. I'm sure you'll handle the intake swap just fine. I like your idea of waiting till you know you will have a couple of days to do the swap in case you have problems.

If you do have problems, the guys here should be able to coach you out of it. Have fun wrenching on your car.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Shoot, add that to the grocery list haha. Completely forgot. Maybe Ill go get some loctite tomorrow.. Thanks
I agree. You seem eager to learn and willing to ask for help when you need it. You also seem to have a good attitude about listening to the advice that was given. I'm sure you'll handle the intake swap just fine. I like your idea of waiting till you know you will have a couple of days to do the swap in case you have problems.

If you do have problems, the guys here should be able to coach you out of it. Have fun wrenching on your car.
Thank you, I appreciate what you said man. Ill definitely come here if I have trouble during install

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Thread sealant - not lock tight! There are thread sealants that are Loctite brand. You need thread sealant as pontiacgp mentioned not thread locker or loctite. PST592 is the my thread sealer of choice or most anything with teflon in it.

Be advised, expect some cold weather, light throttle, hesitation issues with that Air Gap intake.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thread sealant - not lock tight! There are thread sealants that are Loctite brand. You need thread sealant as pontiacgp mentioned not thread locker or loctite. PST592 is the my thread sealer of choice or most anything with teflon in it.

your right, I assumed he meant this...

9118127620126.jpg

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor