Tips for changing intake manifold

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm sure some teflon paste pipe sealant will work just as well.. a little dab will do ya.;)

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I ended up with Permatex thread sealer, the 'liquid Teflon' type deal.

Reactions: 1 users

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
this here tidbit wasn't mentioned... look around that engine compartment and figure out where you'll need to position yourself comfortably while this is going on. you don't want an "oopsie" while you are setting that gorgeous intake down. having a buddy over to pass you the intake while you are in the best spot (ahead of time) is real handy too... you'll do fine! don't rush either.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Be advised, expect some cold weather, light throttle, hesitation issues with that Air Gap intake.

Do tell? How cold, exactly?

(I have observed this behavior on my newly-built 454, though I keep mentally dismissing it as 'just a carburetor thing' rather than being related to my RPM AirGap intake.)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The Air Gap intake is not equipped with the water/ coolant crossover to help pre-heat the carb., thus taking longer for warm up.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Do tell? How cold, exactly?

(I have observed this behavior on my newly-built 454, though I keep mentally dismissing it as 'just a carburetor thing' rather than being related to my RPM AirGap intake.)

Longroof explains why it happens. A way to tell if this occurring is to get the car up to operating temp then let it sit for 5-10 minutes with the engine off. If you take off after letting it sit and the problem is gone for a short period it is because your intake got heat soaked. The problem will redevelop once enough cold air has been sucked into the carb to cool the intake back off. This is a real issue when the ambient temps are below freezing, but can also develop when the temps are only just below 60-65 degrees.

The cold intake at low air speeds will pull the fuel out of the fuel/air mix and make it puddle on the intake walls. Once the air speed picks up in the intake the fuel will evaporate and then get pulled into the cylinders. If you had an AFR gauge it would show up as a lean to rich condition at 'tip in' when cruising. It's hell to try to tune around. You end up having to live with it or give up on the intake and swap to a conventional one.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
^ This is why I went with a Performer instead of an Air Gap.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor