tire and frame clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
finally got the wheels install on the cutlass and I almost had a heart attack. check the tire and frame rail clearance I think I may have about a 1/4 inch of space between them . trying to figure out how I fu..k that up. I've read multiple post of guys with cutlass installing 255/60/15 on 8 inch wide rim without any problem. I got lucky it doesn't rub but not much Clearence. think I may have to add a spacer are something. Just wonder if anyone else with a 87 cutlass having this problem . the car had 20 inch rims when I got it, don't remember the tire size. the rear has air shock and Variable rate springs which I'm planning to swap out to lower the car and soften the ride, As of now there's about 2 inches between the top of the tire and the lip on the wheel well. the rims I purchased was Jeg Sport Torque Wheels.

this is what the rep recommended, not blaming him but I need to make this work
  • Size: 15" x 8"
  • Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.75"
  • Back Spacing: 4.50"
  • Offset: 0
  • Center Bore: 83 mm
  • Load Rating: 2100 lbs.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Sounds about right. I have the same setup on my 80 malibu. I added a 7/32" spacer to both sides to move it out a little.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Check the measurements on both sides.

The C4L rear set-ups are known to be less than accurate @ times. The same goes for the body in relation to how it sits on the frame. It can be skewed to one side more than the other.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Pretty sure the BS on the 15 x 8" Weld wheels on my 81 Malibu is 3.50. I have 275 60s.
This is the main reason I havent bought tires and wheels for my wagon yet. The 7" rally rims on the back have 4.50 BS and you cant put your fingers between the tires and the frame. I dont know how all these guys are sticking these wide wheels on their cars.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Pretty sure the BS on the 15 x 8" Weld wheels on my 81 Malibu is 3.50. I have 275 60s.
This is the main reason I havent bought tires and wheels for my wagon yet. The 7" rally rims on the back have 4.50 BS and you cant put your fingers between the tires and the frame. I dont know how all these guys are sticking these wide wheels on their cars.
People's expectations and amount they will compromise or settle for things is different. I'm not willing to listen or deal with tires rubbing, at all. Other don't mind if it's only when they have back seat passenger's, or over bumps, or when turning at an angle over a curb. So for one person, and one car, which can vary widely, it may be fine, for a different person, and a different vehicle, may not be acceptable at all.

Reactions: 4 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
1/4" clearance will always be a 1/4" clearance as the suspension compresses. The problem is articulation. Streetbu describes it as angle over a curb.
Think of the axle being parallel to the rear bumper. Now compress one side only and the tire come closer to the middle of the car. The 1/4" will disappear quicking in this scenario.

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Same wheels on ‘80 Cutlass needed 1/2” spacers to provide 3/8”-1/2” on both sides with a 275/60R15.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I think there is a misconception on the backspacing needed. My wheels are 3.5" back spacing and that is perfect. Everyone i know that has the 4.5 backspacing or around that needs to deal with spacers to get it not to rub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor