Tire and rim size

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
I have a stock 1985 grand Prix. I was wondering what size rims and tires people are using that fit. I have stock suspension.

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have 235/60/16 on my 82 Grand Prix and I had some rubbing at the back of the passenger side wheel well. That was with the original front springs which I hope were tired. If I had it to do again I might go with a 50 or 55 series to get a little more room. I suggest measuring how much room you have on the car now and then use a tire height calculator online. I know 235/60/15 is a popular size on the front of these cars. When I bought my tires I wanted all four to be the same size and I wanted as tall a tire as I could fit to help with highway cruise ŔPM since when I bought my tires my car had a four speed trans. I have 16's because I went with the S10 ZQ8 wheels. I have a picture of them in my build thread. Just search "Space City" on this site and you will find my thread.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I am building it to kind of beat on and have fun. I just want something that doesn't rub or handle horrible
That's doesn't really tell us anything specific. Are you just going to drive the car on the street? Any plans to autocross or drag race with the car in the future? Does the car have the stock powertrain/ Any plans for future updates to either the powertrain or suspension? Do you like the look of a more original style of wheels & tires, or are you looking for the look of larger wheels & tires? What kind of budget do you have?
Providing information like this will be much more helpful when you're looking for help and options. Just trying to help.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would say a 235/60R15 is a good all around tire for all four wheels if your car is mainly just a cruiser and you are wanting to keep a somewhat stock look with a better sized tire.
They will work well on a 7"-8" rim range and be tall enough to fill up the wheelwells decently well.
If rotating tires is not a concern you can go with a 255/60R15 or the taller 275/60R15 on the rears (depending on clearance for a GP)
On my 86' Regal I have 235/60 front with 275/60 rears on 15 x 8 rims and 4" of backspace.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I would say a 235/60R15 is a good all around tire for all four wheels if your car is mainly just a cruiser and you are wanting to keep a somewhat stock look with a better sized tire.
They will work well on a 7"-8" rim range and be tall enough to fill up the wheelwells decently well.
If rotating tires is not a concern you can go with a 255/60R15 or the taller 275/60R15 on the rears (depending on clearance for a GP)
On my 86' Regal I have 235/60 front with 275/60 rears on 15 x 8 rims and 4" of backspace.

Where'd you get that wheel and horn button?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It's a Grant steering wheel and I ordered the horn button from them separately they have a bunch of different ones.
The wheel I bought used on Ebay super cheap and I have the same one in my Monte but that I bought new.
thanks. And O/D? Nice. I wish I was that lucky. lol.

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
That's doesn't really tell us anything specific. Are you just going to drive the car on the street? Any plans to autocross or drag race with the car in the future? Does the car have the stock powertrain/ Any plans for future updates to either the powertrain or suspension? Do you like the look of a more original style of wheels & tires, or are you looking for the look of larger wheels & tires? What kind of budget do you have?
Providing information like this will be much more helpful when you're looking for help and options. Just trying to help.
I would like to try both autocross and drag with it. I know they are not the same setup but I have a nice car now and am building this one for fun. Powertrain is 5.3/4l60e, grand national 8.5 rear end, s10 blazer front spindles. Been trying to do a budget build. Am trying to fit 5.3 with truck oil pan but it keeps hitting frame crossmember on passenger side. I will probably have to buy an oil pan just cant decide on whar one. I dont see to much difference between truck pan and lh8 pan. Might just get cts v pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor