torque convertor/flexplate spacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
I just got done installing a TCI th350 in my 82 el camino. A th350 came out of it and the two transmissions looked damn near identical in shape/size etc.
the torque convertor is a highstall by b&m (i got the transmission barely used so i'm not sure what stall speed it is).

anyway, the new torque convertor did not have threaded holes on it like the stock one did...it had the flanges with holes in them. SO i went to autozone and bought some tq convertor bolts and nuts specified for the th350. so i was bolting it up, and there was a space about 1/4 of an inch between the flex plate and tq convertor flanges. When I was tightening them, of coarse it pulled the torque convertor flush with the flexplate. but I'm worried about the splines not being engaged as much as the should. The torque convertor was pushed into the transmission as far as it would go before the install so I'm not sure if 1/4 an inch is a safe distance to be pulled out or what.

If that is not an okay distance, do I need to go back in there with washers and a longer bolt?

ALSO, there was no crush washers used..just a bolt and a nut..none were provided in the little "kit" that i bought at autozone....but it seems like you'd want them to keep the bolt from backing off.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You're fine. That is pretty normal as most of the torque converters I have installed have seated back then been pulled forward.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I wouldn't do that...

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Posting from my phone sucks.
In short: I finally figured out the cable mounting spot is where I had my return spring. It would have the cable being pulled out as the throttle opens contrary to my original asusmption that it needs to go the same direction as the throttle cable.
I just need to figure out how to adjust it, the new tv cable I bought is longer but has a different adjustment thing. Ill post more later I'm at the grocery store.
I hate this tv cable!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor