TPI in a Monte Carlo SS

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Thanx 86. Who is a reputable & inexpensive company for programming? Will places like CompCams do a program for my computer if I buy a cam from one of them with my engine specs?

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Nice site. Plenty of info and sounds reasonable. Thanx Malibu.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I used PCMforless.com for this last chip. I haven't got my engine in yet and it's a new rebuilt 383 so I wanted a safe start-up chip. I'm running a 230/236 113* LSA hyd roller, SuperRam intake, 30# injectors, AFR 190 heads, etc on my 383/T56 combo so a stock chip wasn't an option.

If you can learn chip tuning, you can buy everything you need to burn your own chips from moates.net. Look for an AutoProm.

Hopefully I get mine in and running before winter sets in ... :roll:

regal13

n00b
Jun 20, 2011
As their anyone near Atlanta that has done a TPI swap? I am swapping a 1986 350 TPI into a 79 regal and am having some technical difficulties with the wiring. I have reached the limit on my budget so Howell or Painless wires are out of the question. Or is their anyone that will rework my factory harness?
Thx in advance

BulldawgMusclecars

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2011
Cartersville, GA
regal13 said:
As their anyone near Atlanta that has done a TPI swap? I am swapping a 1986 350 TPI into a 79 regal and am having some technical difficulties with the wiring. I have reached the limit on my budget so Howell or Painless wires are out of the question. Or is their anyone that will rework my factory harness?
Thx in advance

I'm in Acworth, 30 miles north of Atlanta, and do injected swaps pretty often. I mostly do LSx swaps now, but I could probably help you. As a matter of fact, I pulled a TPI 305 from a customer's '83 Malibu wagon recently, and still have the wiring harness, computer, and in fact the entire TPI system...polished runners and plenum...and I'd consider seperating the harness and computer from the polished pieces if you want them. Yours should be a MAF system, but the one I have is a speed density system with a 730 style ECM.

slik25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2011
How does the tpi compare with lsx motors based on Power and ease of installation?

kad5118

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2010
slik25 said:
How does the tpi compare with lsx motors based on Power and ease of installation?

I have had both done so far my 1980 lemans came with a 3.8 v6 and that was retrofitted with a 408 tpi sbc, and a vortec 4.8 gen3 in my monte carlo. the major thing was the wire harness for the two. thats what really amke or break your swap.it can be high on price.but they also make a lot of different dyi harness now these days since efi is becoming very popular over carb.the motor mount is another thing to worry for the lsx swap or a vehicle that originaly had a v6 in it place.

as far as power my 408 sbc is a brute animal it get decent fuel mileage only because i have a overdrive trany and kept the stock 2.56 rear end gears.4.8 in monte carlo is a screamer and get damn good gas mileage.its fast also the motor still has a lot more to offer.

so to answer your question the in the two engines were worth it.but it is matters to have a good mechanic that you can trust to do the swap.thats what what makes the difference also.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor