TPI in a Monte Carlo SS

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
Have any of you TPI guys tried out the miniram intake manifold by tpis? Im thinking of going that route since lately things have been popping up and killing my LSx swap hopes.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i have read that the holley stealth ram is the best aftermarket manifold available right now, at least for the money. they also make it for vortec heads which is one of the resons i am running it on my motor. it was cheaper for a whole intake then it was to get a lower base for the tpi, now i have a reason to fuel inject my driver(it has non vortec heads), cant let a good tpi manifold go to waste!

LT1REGAL

n00b
Feb 4, 2007
Jax FL
Never done a TPI swap, but ive done 3 LT1 swaps. Heres are few pics from my regal. [/img]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2811000-2811999/2811120_30.jpg
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=000000&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2811000-2811999/2811120_31_full.jpg

Monte SS 383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2007
Altoona PA
Bad news when I went out this past weekend to finish plumbing my SS fuel line and AN fittings etc.. I noticed a small puddle of water under the car to my dismay after I had flushed the 305 and drained it completely (so I thought) this past spring, there was just enough in the lower side of the block to crack it near the knock sensor :shock: . So now every thing that I had done on the engine will come out and the stroker motor will be started. I ordered a set of AFR Eliminator 195 heads they have a delivery date of over a month so it will give me some more time to get the engine ready and the pistons ordered. I am going to use a Lunati Vodoo cam 60111. Oh well $hit happens. At least I have a reason to build my 383 now.

Monte SS 383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2007
Altoona PA
The latest

I dropped my 350 bolt that I had but some years back off at the machine shop 2 weeks ago and Tuesday received a call telling me it was a junk motor that there was a 3 inch crack down the lifter body. Time to start searching the classifieds-----found a person that said they had a 4 bolt out off a 1 ton truck so drove 100 miles to pick it up and got there. Went around back to meet him and there he was trying to get it to turn. I h ad asked it it was a covered sitting out there and his reply was it had the carb on it and it was only out for a short time. We pulled the heads (they where a set of 882 heads with the 1.94 valves in) and the lifters and got it spinning dropped it off the frame removed the oil pan and after all that it was a 2 bolt. $HIT. Luckily he was a "nice" guy called his brother and he had 2, 4 bolt mains that he was willing to part with. So I ended up getting 2, 4 bolt mains. The one had another set off 882 heads with the big 1.94 valves on also and the heads off of the 2 bolt for $250. So this Friday I am going to take a block into the machine shop and try it again. I will try and post pics as the build gets going. I have the AFR Eliminator heads and the Comp retro fit roller lifters, Crane full roller rockers, scat crank, h-beam rods and the Cam is still on back order. The machine shop is getting all the bearings and Speed Pro Hyperutectic pistons for it. I am planning on running about a 10.5 to 1 compression ration.

Monte SS 383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2007
Altoona PA
Well Picked up the next engine and it was done so here is my parts list for the swap so far.

1. Howell Engine harness for the TPI in a G-body
2. Edelbrock High Flow intake (port matched)
3. SLP ported and polished intake runners.
4. TPIS 58 MM throttle body
5. Camaro serpentine brackets.
6. Edelbrock Headers (already had) but Jet Coated with extreme sterling silver.
7. 3" exhaust pipe leaving the CAT shell for emissions (just has to be there)
8. Granitelli adjustable MAF
9. Fuel sending unit and tank from a 86 TBI Monte
10. SS Fuel lines custom bent by Fine lines
11. AN fuel lines to connect all the metal lines and fuel filter.
12. Not sure of the fan set up I am using yet I have out of a Taurus SHO and a dual fan out of a Concord.
13. Ported/polished upper plenum with siamese ports.
14. 140 Amp alternator
15. Core support for a early 80's Olds.
16. Energy Suspension urathane motor mounts.
17. MSD 6AL spark box.

Engine
1. 350 4 bolt main 30 over
2. Scat Stroker Crank
3. Scat H-beam rods
4. Lunati Vodoo 60111 asymmetrical cam
5. Comp Cams retro fit Roller lifters
6. Crane center bolt full roller rockers
7. Speed Pro Flat top hyperutectic 2 valve relief pistons ( should make
10.3:1 compression ratio.
8. AFR 195CC Elimintator heads 65CC comb chamber 2.05/1.60 valves
9. March under drive kit.
10. MSD Distributor
11. High flow Aluminum water pump
12. Thrust bearing.

A/C

1. Buick Grand Prix Condensor
2. Monte Carlos Accumulator
3. Buick Grand Prix Hard A/C Line
4. Caprice rubber line (have not tried yet just looked like it may work)
5. 89 Camaro Compressor
6. Monte Carlo Evap

This is all I can think of for now. I still need to stick all of it in the car but I have one heck of a parts pile.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
I believe you either have some Buick Grand National parts or Pontiac Grand Prix parts in there. Sounds like one heck of a nice well thought out build. What kind of money will you have in this motor and getting it up and running? What kind of hp/tq do you expect it make minimum? I don't know the vodoo cams is that a roller? I am still used to general flat tappet at 50 duration and lift numbers. Pics are always cool.

Monte SS 383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2007
Altoona PA
Yes the Evaporator for the AC and the hard line from the condendsor to the evap. The radiator retainer is from I think it was a A body with an electric fan. Bolt holes matched up perfectly for the Monte core support. Yes the cam is for a retro fit roller.

Part Number: LUN-60111
Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,600-5,600
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 219
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 227
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 219 int./227 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 270
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 278
Advertised Duration: 270 int./278 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.515 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.530 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.515 int./0.530 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Grind Number: VDSC-270

I am hoping to see 500-600 horse out of it. The heads advertise about 530 and that is with a Carb http://www.airflowresearch.com/eliminator.php

I will have chip burned for it that will eliminate the emissions but at least they will still be there. I have pipe plugs in the air valves and the smog pump is just a pulley, I removed all the internals.

84Ttype

n00b
Jan 25, 2009
what tpi is favored by everyone? the MAF or speed density? wasn't the '88-'92 equipped with the MAF and also have the "9th" injector for cold weather start. i had an '88 IROC with the 350tpi. It was a torque'y motor not much for the upper RPM power though. kinda falls off after 4500. i have a 84 T type that i'm going to put a 406 in and been kicking around the thought of TPI. and thought about an LS based motor as well. probably the 6.0. And keep it budget conscious of course :lol: Whats your thoughts

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor