Transmission cross members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
As Jackand Jared said already, the g force or iceman should help give a starting point. I have the g force unit in my cutlass, and that damn thing is stout!!!! Definitely an overbuilt piece that i will never need to worry about!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
If you're mainly worried about clearance for the exhaust pipe, we notched the factory crossmember on the driver's side. It worked great and didn't take very long.

• Agree

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
As Jackand Jared said already, the g force or iceman should help give a starting point. I have the g force unit in my cutlass, and that damn thing is stout!!!! Definitely an overbuilt piece that i will never need to worry about!
I have been drooling over that one for a while. My uncle who is a custom car builder has been telling me for years that I need to stop obsessing and buy what works because of the time invested that you will save. I get it but, any and all of you understand the therapy that these cars and working them provide. I have a design that I sketched and I'm probably going to roll with. When the project starts I will post pics and keep all of you that are interested posted. Thanks for the input.

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
If you're mainly worried about clearance for the exhaust pipe, we notched the factory crossmember on the driver's side. It worked great and didn't take very long.
I already have a double hump cross member and it is fine but, good enough was never my style. When I built my cutlass years ago, I put a cross member from another car (I don't remember which) that bolted right in and was clearanced for duals and was perfect for the super T10 I put in it. As I said before, I miss the days of the junkyards being full of this crap. Ahhhhh, the good ole' days.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
Just thought I would mention: this car was built by a guy that spared no expense on parts and used what was available at the time. It was one of the many reasons I bought it. The thing is, aftermarket support was nil at best at that time. All the receipts are from the 90's. and also, I just fabbed up a front frame brace with $25 worth of steel and about 2-1/2 hours time. I will post pics once the paying customers are gone.

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I have been drooling over that one for a while. My uncle who is a custom car builder has been telling me for years that I need to stop obsessing and buy what works because of the time invested that you will save. I get it but, any and all of you understand the therapy that these cars and working them provide. I have a design that I sketched and I'm probably going to roll with. When the project starts I will post pics and keep all of you that are interested posted. Thanks for the input.
No problem, I'm definitetly following along as i know others will! I love seeing everybody's take on what their G should be, whether it be a drag car, original, auto-x, or a blend of several. I want my cutlass to look mean and sleek, but bust some tail if somebody wants to play!
I understand the therapy part....to me there is nothing like garage time! Even on bad days when stuff in the shop isn't going right, is still better than dealing with the normal stress of life!
Oh, and if it helps, here is a g force pic when i dropped my motor back in (rip motor, new one to come hopefully soon):D
20140921_175635.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
some people have used late model crown vic crossmemebers. they come from the factory with a double hump. try a search for a pic on here.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Here's mine I made for my T56. Patterned after the G force unit, but more symmetrical.
After these pics were taken, I also incorporated a front two piece driveshaft safety loop into it as well.

100_4178.JPG

100_4177.JPG

100_4179.JPG

HTH.
Donovan

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Years ago, I notched out my factory one and welded in half a pipe for the exhaust to run thru. Worked well for 17+ years. ran across a G-force on craigslist last winter, couldn't turn it down. As much fun as it was modifying the stock one, the G-Force has much more room for my exhaust to route thru...

Honestly, either one is stout enough. look at the flimsy brackets on the frame rail they are bolted to. I think that's where adding some bracing would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor