Transmission Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Suggestion: since you have 2.73s now, consider locating or building a 700-R4. These are comparable to a 200-4R in durability, but the steep 3.06 first gear will improve the launches with those semi-highway gears, and you can drop a Powertrax in that rear later without pulling the differential. Jegs and Summit make inexpensive dual-hump crossmembers for the 700 that bolt right in. You still need a lockup kit, and a TV cable. The driveshaft is about 3" shorter that for a TH200/350, but used the same yoke.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
As some of you already know, the TH350 in my '86 Monte Carlo went out last year. I've finally got some money rounded up to fix it. This morning I stopped by the transmission guy's place and got a quote. I was a little surprised by the price. $550. About a year and a half ago I had him build a TH350 for my truck and it costed me $425. I was expecting about the same price for this transmission as well and it caught me off guard when he told me that it would be $125 more for this one. I realize that this isn't that high of a price but it's more than I expected and it's pushing my budget. I was hoping to use the $125 for fluid and etc.

So, now I'm trying to decide what I should do. I have a few more options.

1. Buy a used TH350 for $250 with a 90 day warranty and maybe put a shift kit in it.

2. Rebuild the TH350 I have myself.

3. There is a 700R4 from a Camaro at work that I could probably get for around $300.

My questions and concerns.

-I've never rebuilt a transmission. The people I've talked to who have all say that the TH350 is easy to build.
To the guys on here who've rebuilt them, how hard is it? If I go this route I plan on getting a factory transmission rebuild manual and an aftermarket/performance rebuild manual.
Do you guys have any advice on building a TH350? Do you recommend any certain manuals? What special tools will I need? How much space do I need to disassemble and rebuild it? Is there a particular kit you would recommend?

- I've never had good luck out of 700R4's but I'd love to have overdrive in the Monte Carlo. I would probably put a shift kit in it too. Is a stock 700R4 with a shift kit worth my trouble to put in?

Right now the car still has the stock 4.3 V6 in it. I plan on putting a Vortech 350 in the car in the near future. It'll hopefully put out 350-400 hp. Probably close to the same torque. What do you guys recommend?
rebuild it yourself. best shift kit i ever put in my 350's was a home built one that is in the ron sessions turbo 350 book. find a guy with some machine shop equipment that can cut down your clutch pistons for maximum clutch pak install. i ran my 350 in my low 10 sec.(best et 10.13) 70 bb chevelle for 10 years without any problem. still have it in my 71 vette. i have some very different parts in mine right now and did some different clutch pak tricks. will help if you get into a bind. Denny

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Suggestion: since you have 2.73s now, consider locating or building a 700-R4. These are comparable to a 200-4R in durability, but the steep 3.06 first gear will improve the launches with those semi-highway gears, and you can drop a Powertrax in that rear later without pulling the differential. Jegs and Summit make inexpensive dual-hump crossmembers for the 700 that bolt right in. You still need a lockup kit, and a TV cable. The driveshaft is about 3" shorter that for a TH200/350, but used the same yoke.

I've used 700's before. I don't really care for them. Plus right now all I'm gonna be able to afford is a rebuild on the TH350.

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
rebuild it yourself. best shift kit i ever put in my 350's was a home built one that is in the ron sessions turbo 350 book. find a guy with some machine shop equipment that can cut down your clutch pistons for maximum clutch pak install. i ran my 350 in my low 10 sec.(best et 10.13) 70 bb chevelle for 10 years without any problem. still have it in my 71 vette. i have some very different parts in mine right now and did some different clutch pak tricks. will help if you get into a bind. Denny

So the Ron Sessions manual is good? Good to know. I had read something about cutting down the pistons to add extra clutch. I'll see if I can get that done. Which rebuild kit would you recommend?

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
WhatEver you can get from a local transmission supply warehouse.

Most are either Alto or Raybestos. You want a master kit with steels.

Don't buy anything until you disassemble and inspect for additional parts that may be needed, like a pump or stator or etc.

See post 25 for all the tools.

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
WhatEver you can get from a local transmission supply warehouse.

Most are either Alto or Raybestos. You want a master kit with steels.

Don't buy anything until you disassemble and inspect for additional parts that may be needed, like a pump or stator or etc.

See post 25 for all the tools.

After looking at the tools you listed and a little reading, I think I can fabricate most if not all of the tools. I gotta keep this as cheap as possible. I'm gonna have to buy a dial caliper, magnetic base dial indicator and a micrometer or two that I don't have. That'll pretty much eat up the tool budget.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Pawn shop?

Good luck.

What if I said:

"Hey, don't touch that, the paint is wet!"

We all know what you will do. If I added, you touch it and we have to repaint everything and you are responsible to pay for it...then what?

Last edited:

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Pawn shop?

I doubt it. My work schedule messes that up. The pawn shops close when we do usually. If I do manage to get to one on a Saturday afternoon all of the shops around here ask WAY too much for their tools and none of them seem very willing to haggle over price. They act like they're Walmart or something.

I think I read on here that the Harbor Freight dial indicators, dial calipers and micrometers were decent tools and that they should be fine for most automotive applications. Can anyone confirm?

From what I've deciphered from reading here and there is that Alto is a good brand of friction disk. Is that true?

I want to do this right, 1 time, and on a budget. It's gonna be a challenge for sure. I'm trying to do plenty of research before I spend any money. If my few years of experience has taught me anything, it's "You can NEVER be too prepared."

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think a budget TH350 rebuild will fit perfectly in the "Poor Man's Monte Carlo' thread. Looking forward to reading/seeing your progress.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I doubt it. My work schedule messes that up. The pawn shops close when we do usually. If I do manage to get to one on a Saturday afternoon all of the shops around here ask WAY too much for their tools and none of them seem very willing to haggle over price. They act like they're Walmart or something.

I think I read on here that the Harbor Freight dial indicators, dial calipers and micrometers were decent tools and that they should be fine for most automotive applications. Can anyone confirm?

From what I've deciphered from reading here and there is that Alto is a good brand of friction disk. Is that true?

I want to do this right, 1 time, and on a budget. It's gonna be a challenge for sure. I'm trying to do plenty of research before I spend any money. If my few years of experience has taught me anything, it's "You can NEVER be too prepared."

I bought the dial indicator from hf to check clearances when I built my 200-4R. you can also use raybestos tan clutches. ck performance uses them on his race builds with great success. I had spoken to him a few times to ask some questions.

You can improvise on the tools. I did not use any special trans specific tools when I did mine. the lo reverse tool would have come in handy but I made it work and all lined up as it should.

A hydraulic press may come in handy if you have to compress pistons. Some auto parts stores usually have rebuild manuals or best bet is the atsg since it shows what all your clearances are supposed to be and how to inspect parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor