Transmission Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If I buy a 200-4R it'll be through work. (salvage yard) Most of the time salvage yards will test the engine and transmissions in cars when they inventory the car. Also, most of the yards that I would be buying from give a 90 day warranty. While I have bought used parts from individuals before, I like buying them from a yard. That 90 day warranty isn't as good as a transmission shop but it's a lot better than no warranty from some guy on Craigslist.

Going for a 200-4R seems like a better option to me, assuming you can get ALL of the parts to do the conversion from a donor car.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Going for a 200-4R seems like a better option to me, assuming you can get ALL of the parts to do the conversion from a donor car.

What parts will I need? I thought it was a direct swap to a TH350 except for the transmission mount location.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What parts will I need? I thought it was a direct swap to a TH350 except for the transmission mount location.

Just off the top of my head (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong):
-Trans and converter (duh?)
- detent/TV cable (different length if carb or EFI)
- detent/TV cable bracket (different between carb and EFI)
- floor shifter (differently gated, assuming you have a floor shift)
- TCC plug/wiring harness (can set up using a manual switch).

I believe the TH350 driveshaft and yoke, and crossmember you have now should suffice.

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Just off the top of my head (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong):
-Trans and converter (duh?)
- detent/TV cable (different length if carb or EFI)
- detent/TV cable bracket (different between carb and EFI)
- floor shifter (differently gated, assuming you have a floor shift)
- TCC plug/wiring harness (can set up using a manual switch).

I believe the TH350 driveshaft and yoke, and crossmember you have now should suffice.

My car came with a 200 metric 3 speed so I have a TV cable bracket. Will the cable from the 3 speed fit the overdrive?

I have column shift now.

I'll probably buy a wiring kit.

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Guys, which exact 200-4R is the best to get? I know there are different codes for different applications depending on the car it came in. What came in what? Does anyone know the differences or have a link to a good guide? I'm really leaning towards the 200-4R now that I compared the gear ratios to my TH350. It's a little bit lower in 1st and 2nd, Drive is the same and it has overdrive. I think I'll really like it.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You need a Monte SS, Turbo Buick, or 442 trans. You have to look at the code on the tag. That is really only good if it's unmolested. Should have a pink or purple paint mark on the valve body. CZF, BZF, BQF, KZF should be the codes I think. The SS & 442 trans have a govenor for 3.73 gears and a Turbo Buick has one of 3.42.

The rest (normal 200-4R) will require a reprogramming kit. Be diligent and price them. Price a kit for the lock up function as well. The 200-4R needs a relocated mount to include the crossmember. Said crossmember will also require a frame extension if your car is early. It takes a crossmember similar to a TH400. The TV cable needs to be for a 200-4R or 700R4. The bracket for the cable needs to be from an OD set up. The carb linkage must have the correct geometry. To properly set it up you will need a pressure gauge.

The TH350 is much more forgiving to build and make work.

A 200-4R and 700R4 demand the TV cable to be properly set up, I know, this sounds simple...trust me it's not, like, it can cause immediate trans failure or make you very unhappy with the way it shifts. Same with the lock-up function. A 200-4R will work without the lockup hooked up, a 700R4 will melt the planetary gears without it hooked up and working a 45-48 MPH.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
How much would it cost to rebuild a 200-4R?
What's the differences between the transmissions you mentioned above and one in a Caprice or similar. The non performance ones.

If I get one of the transmissions you mentioned I don't need a shift kit?

I need a TV cable bracket from what cars to fit my TBI?

Can I get a non performance version and build it up? How much more would that cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor