Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
What motor and induction do you have?

What rearend gear ratio and size tires?

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
To just work, by all means get one from whatever.

The poor reputation the 200-4R has is based the 150 normal versions for every 1 performance version.

One thing to consider is that there is point of diminishing returns, you have to have enough torque and horsepower to comfortably maintain a given speed. Guys with V8s have more available torque to overcome nearly lugging a vehicle when you have an overdrive with a numerically low rearend gear ratio.

Or, to compare, a 4.3 S10 will have a 3.42 gear and a 225/70/15 tire with a 4L60E.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You car has the frame mount for the 200-4R crossmember.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
We don't have any 200-4R's at my work. One of the guys that works the counter has a son who works at a different yard that does have one from an '86 Monte Carlo SS. He's trying to get it for me for $200.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
We don't have any 200-4R's at my work. One of the guys that works the counter has a son who works at a different yard that does have one from an '86 Monte Carlo SS. He's trying to get it for me for $200.

No luck there. That particular SS had a TH350 swapped into it. I'll have to keep looking.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Well, I was hoping to buy a 200-4R and rebuild it before I put it in but that plan isn't looking so good now. The Geo has some wheel bearing and brake issues that are gonna have to be taken care of as soon as possible since it's my daily driver right now and the money I had put aside for the transmission is gonna have to fund that. So, it's looking like my only affordable option right now is gonna be to rebuild the TH350 that's in the car. I figure it makes more sense to rebuild mine and have new internals than to get a used trans with unknown internals. Rebuilding the TH350 isn't what I really wanted to do but you guys know how the budget determines things for you sometimes. Plus, I've always heard that a TH350 is a good automatic transmission to learn how rebuild for a first timer.

So, my new transmission budget is gonna be about $400. Not a lot to work with but that's what I've got right now. Can you guys recommend rebuild kits and torque converters for a non-lockup TH350? Any special tools that I will absolutely NEED? Which factory rebuild manual to get and which aftermarket/performance rebuild manual to get? Any tips or tricks to rebuilding a TH350 that you guys know?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor