tunnel ram street use

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryOlds86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2011
Huntsburg, Ohio
Yes! Check out HOTROD Magazine's latest issue, March 2013, page 108, and they go over this exact issue :eek: . I think you can read it on the web, but it goes into the myth of tunnel rams. They're not the "perfect" street intake, but they work just fine.

Mikes84GP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2012
Maryland
Hahaha, this reminds me of a friend from high school.

He ran a huge tunnel ram with 2 750 holleys on a otherwise stock 350. He wanted something to stick out of the hood so he'd look cool. Well, he took me for a ride in the car that turned out to be a really short ride when the engine backfired while he was accelerating and set his car on fire. Way, way too much fuel, as even one of those 750's outmatched the stock 350 it was bolted to.

Tunnel rams are designed for high rpm use, and you need the rest of your car matched to that application. You need short gearing and a high stall to overcome the zero low end torque you will be producing to make it livable on the street.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I wouldnt even think of using a tunnel ram on a street car. With the long runners they are designed for higher RPMs. I think with the new intakes coming out today and the relatively primitive design of the tunnel ram makes it pretty impractical to use nowadays period.

sirhc2004

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 29, 2012
-83MONTESS- said:
I wouldnt even think of using a tunnel ram on a street car. With the long runners they are designed for higher RPMs. I think with the new intakes coming out today and the relatively primitive design of the tunnel ram makes it pretty impractical to use nowadays period.

yea i may go with a 5.3 or a 6.0 carbed ls swap

tk76

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2013
Town of Tonawanda,NY
It can be done with little issue. On the other hand if your not very good at tuning a single carb don't even bother with a tunnel ram. You also need to match cam, gears and torque converter.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
tk76 said:
It can be done with little issue. On the other hand if your not very good at tuning a single carb don't even bother with a tunnel ram. You also need to match cam, gears and torque converter.

X2 Yes, they can be made to work well on the street if set up correctly but I still would not waste time setting up a mild application or a daily driver with a tunnel ram.
Even though you can make them very streetable there would still be a good chance you would loose a race to an equally set up engine with a single carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor