Turbo Century - Free/Curb Alert? in San Fransisco, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I always liked the slant back cars. You're absolutely right, that people either loved them or hated them. I liked that they were an unusual and uncommon body style. I like unusual and uncommon cars.
It looks like you have a few nice examples of these particular cars. I'm sure you have some interesting stories of how you acquired them.
Also, how about the storage situation of all these cars?
I'm with you my friend, I LOVE unusual and uncommon cars, things no one else has at a show, or even collected for that matter. My storage situation is actually up to speed, its always has been an issue, its cost a lot of coin, but so does letting vehicles sit outside and waist away lol, weather stripping, paint, ect ..not cheap.

Reactions: 1 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
One thing i have always found intriguing, was the fact that in 1979/1980 GM didn't use the three piece front and rear all aluminum bumpers on the Century Turbo Coupes, unlike the 1978 NON TURBO Sport Coupe that got them!...Here Buick went all out with the all aluminum core supports in the C.T.C. to save weight, yet passed over the weight savings they could have found with the aluminum bumpers!!! I don't know the story or history on the Aluminum bumpers or why the 78 Buick Sport coupes got them, or why it was a 1 year thing only, or even why some 78 sport coupes didn't even get them, just weird...GM at the time was all over the board on consistency for one thing, and was moving at a pace to meet EPA regulations and demands, having factories from coast to coast, sometimes quality control gets lost.

The last picture i posted up of the blue 1978 Buick Century Sport Coupe, This car was assembled in CA, it HAS the all aluminum front and rear 3 piece bumpers AND got the rear deck spoiler TOO ( wasn't supposed to) and got a factory Hurst 4 speed shifter from the factory! On a 3.8 V6 no doubt?! lol....I'm often so intrigued and want to research such things to find out production #'s ect ect, but then the
realization of GM's fantastic record keeping finally hits home, (GM's approach) --->its not a Corvette, so why keep any records o_O:doh::blam:

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I really want to see one back-halfed, pro-street kind of setup. I think the body style would look awesome with huge tires in the rear.

Zach, don't take this the wrong way please, but I'm not a fan of any back halfed, tubbed car with tires that are too large for the wheel well. I much prefer seeing full wheel wells and something that can be driven on the street daily, reasonably or at least 2000-5000+ miles a year and still have the 'fast couch' comfort of a G.

But that's me and to each his own. I am very interested to see the pics of Jamcar getting this on his trailer and heading home.

BTW Zach, what's cookin' with the MC, get it back together?

blk7gxn - nice collection - I'm green with envy. Hopefully you have the resources and time to enjoy them!!

• Agree

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Zach, don't take this the wrong way please, but I'm not a fan of any back halfed, tubbed car with tires that are too large for the wheel well. I much prefer seeing full wheel wells and something that can be driven on the street daily, reasonably or at least 2000-5000+ miles a year and still have the 'fast couch' comfort of a G.

But that's me and to each his own. I am very interested to see the pics of Jamcar getting this on his trailer and heading home.

blk7gxn - nice collection - I'm green with envy. Hopefully you have the resources and time to enjoy them!!
Thanks for the nice compliment, really appreciate that. NEVER enough time for sure. haven't been to a show in 2 years, just not in the schedule :(

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks for the nice compliment, really appreciate that. NEVER enough time for sure. haven't been to a show in 2 years, just not in the schedule :(
You could mail out a couple sets of keys to some of us. I'm sure we could keep things well lubricated and visit a few shows along the way.

We'll buy the gas, you supply the tires...

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
How many times have we seen cars in the junkyard that we felt were too nice to be crushed,
Too many times +1
BA2ECB75-2F96-420A-BF9A-1A166B905222.jpeg
Looked like a grandma’s car, and could’ve been saved... v8 car as well....

• Sad
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Too many times +1
View attachment 153675 Looked like a grandma’s car, and could’ve been saved... v8 car as well....
Darin,
That is a cryin' shame. That one definitely looks like a solid car that could've been saved. I guess we can't save them all, unfortunately. :cry:

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
That car is kind of neat. It seems a little off though. I think it needs a little smaller tire and be a little further outward.

I kind of agree with you. I don't like all out pro street drag cars all that much. I like street cars with wide tires. My family owns a tubbed 72 Vega. We put bigger fender openings in the quarters. Looks better.
2016-11-22 20.30.33.jpg
A slantback done kind of like this. This car is plenty street able. The Monte is back together and running great again. I haven't drove it much the past couple months. I have been really busy with work and life lately.

Reactions: 4 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Well, we have a winner!! Blk7gxn, that's a nice collection of Aero cars.
I'm all set to leave in the morning at 5am. It's 28 hours each way. I will take pics and post em up while I'm on the road.

• Winner
  • Happy
Reactions: 13 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor