Turn signal problems...need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
what color is the wire you have going to the light socket?. When you said you had power at the socket I thought you meant the power was on and off since we were talking about the signal light.

maybe a picture will wake him up.... View attachment 73984

I tried both the brown and light blue wires and neither worked right once the headlight came on.

Yes, checked that a while ago but put in a brand new one to be safe and still no luck

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Here's how it works:
Ignition voltage goes to the turn switch, then to front turns (lt & dk blue?) indicators, front bulbs AND rear turns (yel & dk grn) separately through the switch.
Brake switch feeds rear only.
If you're confident that the fuse is good, test at the flat connectors on the column

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Here's how it works:
Ignition voltage goes to the turn switch, then to front turns (lt & dk blue?) indicators, front bulbs AND rear turns (yel & dk grn) separately through the switch.
If you're confident that the fuse is good, test at the flat connectors on the column

White wire at turn signal switch connector has a tendency to burn.
Did you check the lights like I mentioned before?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I tried both the brown and light blue wires and neither worked right once the headlight came on.

Yes, checked that a while ago but put in a brand new one to be safe and still no luck

I would head to the wreckers and get a complete harness for the lights if you are not going to trace back from the light with a test light to find the problem.......but if you do want to do some work on your car to solve the problem the light blue wire is the left signal, dark blue wire is the right signal and the brown is the parking light

Last edited:

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Here's how it works:

White wire at turn signal switch connector has a tendency to burn.
Did you check the lights like I mentioned before?

I would head to the wreckers and get a complete harness for the lights if you are not going to trace back from the light with a test light to find the problem.......but if you do want to do some work on your car to solve the problem the light blue wire is the left signal, dark blue wire is the right signal and the brown is the parking light

Thanks for all the info, I am gonna try to get into it tonight and see whats going on. The tailights are very bright now because they are LED's, but they seemed regular brightness before swapping them out. Never really got into the steering column before but I'll give it a shot

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You can test to see if the signal switch is working correctly by it's connector on the steering column. I can get led lights for just a few $$ but other than the interior I don't waste my time with them. I use the 2357 bulb with has a 40 watt brake/signal lite compared to the 32 watt of the 1157 bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor