UMI lowering springs; still suck? UMI or another brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On my Monte I have the UMI 2" drop rears and stock SBC replacement fronts springs but with a BBC sitting in front.
Tires are 28" tall rear and 27" front
I have always done my ride height measurements from the center of the wheel well to the ground.
IMG_1473.JPG

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Looks good but picture is too dark for me to see how close your body is to the ground under the door.

I know that my tire clearance didn't get better in my wheel wells. Same big gap.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Before & after. Stock to BMR kit with 1.5" lowering springs & 17" Year One wheels. Tire diameter is within about 1/2" from stock, I believe 00S0S_lmnoi56h4Umz_0CI0sV_600x450.jpg 20221002_172422.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Are you certain that your old springs were in fact "stock/original" to your car? They're not that hard to change, and if someone else did the engine swap, they might have done that. You can measure the wire diameter and free height, then compare it to the chart I referred to earlier in this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Are you certain that your old springs were in fact "stock/original" to your car? They're not that hard to change, and if someone else did the engine swap, they might have done that. You can measure the wire diameter and free height, then compare it to the chart I referred to earlier in this thread.
Yeah. My gbody was untouched basically just old. Had my buddy verify. I had the engine swapped three months ago.

I know people are thinking the old ones sagged, but you can see from my first picture they hadn't. And it clearly wasn't lowered. It went up after the swap, and I have AC, two batteries, and a v8 iron block in the front. That's heavier than any stock gbody so this thing should have dropped.

Everybody keeps showing success stories with BMI.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Mine looks like your before picture.
Any chance the control arm bolts were tightened with the suspension drooping (car on stands under frame) instead of tightening them with the weight of the car on the wheels/tires?

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Mine looks like your before picture.
Have you driven it all to allow the springs to settle?

I can safely attest that old springs settle. If yours aren't then they aren't originals with 80-120k miles.

UMI stuff is the real deal, no junk and they have excellent support.

565bbchevy What wheels are on your Monte?

Reactions: 1 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Any chance the control arm bolts were tightened with the suspension drooping (car on stands under frame) instead of tightening them with the weight of the car on the wheels/tires?
That's a great question; would a professional shop make a mistake like that?

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Have you driven it all to allow the springs to settle?

I can safely attest that old springs settle. If yours aren't then they aren't originals with 80-120k miles.

UMI stuff is the real deal, no junk and they have excellent support.

565bbchevy What wheels are on your Monte?
Not being a smart *ss but you think they are going to settle 1-2 inches?

Definitely won't argue that they make junk; I don't believe they do.
And support has been great except they just told me to cut them; that's their answer is to cut springs you buy from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor