Upgraded lower steering column bearing kit for G-body - questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
I am just waiting for the Jeep bearing adapter/retainer to arrive now because I thought the J4486713 bearing would fit inside my existing OEM G-body retainer....it doesn't as you can see in the pic...

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=371079841410

P90417-183122.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
is there a reason you are spending money and time to replace that joint instead of changing the shaft to get rid of that joint and the rag joint to upgrade to 2 universal joints that you get on the Jeep shaft or the Astro/Safari shaft?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I am just waiting for the Jeep bearing adapter/retainer to arrive now because I thought the J4486713 bearing would fit inside my existing OEM G-body retainer....it doesn't as you can see in the pic...

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=371079841410

View attachment 111304
Appears you're trying to mix and match OE parts with the upgraded parts. Won't work. You need to get the "kit" and use ALL the upgraded stuff. The new plastic housing seems like it has a larger opening to match the bearing than the original equipment one.

Geezy24

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2017
I bought the Kirban Bearing kit and it fit really loose for my 87 Buick Grand National
Then I bought the one offered from Mikes Montes and same deal.
Since the jeep shaft I bought from Kirbans looked to be a refurbished part I bought I new crown one and still had play
I bought this bearing kit
18019.03 Omix-Ada bearing kit
Fits alot tighter but still left a little play, I could not find the Astro van one to try to see if was any better. so I gave up OMix kit was the tighest fit. I believe it is for a camaro

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I bought the Kirban Bearing kit and it fit really loose for my 87 Buick Grand National
Then I bought the one offered from Mikes Montes and same deal.
Since the jeep shaft I bought from Kirbans looked to be a refurbished part I bought I new crown one and still had play
I bought this bearing kit
18019.03 Omix-Ada bearing kit
Fits alot tighter but still left a little play, I could not find the Astro van one to try to see if was any better. so I gave up OMix kit was the tighest fit. I believe it is for a camaro
I chased the play in the steering wheel in my Grand National for a long time. Tried the steering box, shaft, tilt mechanism screws. In the end it was the plastic sleeves at the upper shaft pivot point. I replaced them and no more play in the wheel.

Reactions: 1 users

Geezy24

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2017
I chased the play in the steering wheel in my Grand National for a long time. Tried the steering box, shaft, tilt mechanism screws. In the end it was the plastic sleeves at the upper shaft pivot point. I replaced them and no more play in the wheel.

Can you post a link? Picture ?

I have new everything and still have a bit of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Are you talking about the plastic centering sphere halves? I'm trying to think about what plastic sleeves are in that area and I'm having trouble recalling any plastic sleeves other than the tilt sphere.
Which if needed, you can find it under GM p/n 26026564. List price from GM is $13.71

564120.main.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor