Upgrades to windshield wiper motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I'm wondering, I know you wouldn't have park, but you could have delay, putting the module from say an 85-87(91) squarebody chevy? Only thing is the switch on the column are different part numbers on rock auto, so I don't know how the wiring would match up. Just another thought anyways as I have several of those modules from parted out squarebody's here
Perhaps, it could be made to work if you put the matching motor in. Non-delay G-Body motors lack the positioning switch that lets the delay board know where the motor is in its sweep.

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
Perhaps, it could be made to work if you put the matching motor in. Non-delay G-Body motors lack the positioning switch that lets the delay board know where the motor is in its sweep.
I've never had the cover off of my 86 elcamino's wiper motor to see what it looks like because it still works, and was just thinking because of the park feature, does the arm just go in an arc back and forth or in a circle? If it goes in a circle you could probably make it work because the module for the trucks mounts directly under the steering column, but if it's and arc back and forth you would need to put in a different motor.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
IIRC, when the motor parks, it will go to the standby position, then reverse and go 180 degrees in the opposite direction to pull the wipers down.

Reactions: 1 users

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I'm also facing a conundrum with my current wiper situation. I had replaced my column with an '85+ Monte Carlo floor shift column. It has a pulse wiper stalk switch. I replaced the wiper motor with the later style in order to be compatible. Of course when i replaced my dash, it no longer had a dash mounted wiper switch. I never quite figured out why the wipers drag when I turn it on. It does seem to work in delay mode, but it's a question of not getting enough oomph to the motor.
There was a good discussion about wiper motors, etc, about a year ago. One our members used a wiper motor from a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville. It did require a few mods like using the arm from an S-10 wiper motor and using an external washer pump, because the new type wiper motor no longer has the pump integral with the motor. I'm glad this topic has come up again, I'm ready to get this thing resolved once and for all. So, I'm receptive to any solutions that are offered.
My 93 S10 had a pump that was electric and it was connected to the washer bottle maybe swap to that washer bottle

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My 93 S10 had a pump that was electric and it was connected to the washer bottle maybe swap to that washer bottle
I actually have a small pump that came off of an Olds Ciera. It's mounted on to the reservoir/ washer bottle via a hole with a rubber grommet. It's not mounted yet. I hate to cut a hole into a fairly new washer bottle.
How is the S-10 washer pump installed?

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Looks like this

Attachments

• 16085768469071447661227948781176.jpg
    16085768469071447661227948781176.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think I got a spare bottle let me take a look
Could you post a picture of what the S-10 washer pump looks like installed? I assume that it's also a separate unit from the wiper motor.
Actually, I think I may still have my old washer reservoir.

Ooops! I see you already posted a pic. I jumped the gun...sorry. The washer pump that I have is almost identical to that one. It's just fitted a little differently on the Ciera. GM probably uses the same pump for multiple vehicles. That's a good little pump.
Thank you for posting the pic.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It even has a little filter pick up tube in case of debris falling in
Mine is missing the little filter, but it should be no big deal to add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor