HELP Upgrading Sealed Beams to H4 Headlamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
so this is gonna be a dumb question but i have a 1981 Monte Carlo(4 4x6's). I do not have the factory gauges or lights anymore, so i dont have an indicator as to when my high beams are on. Also purchased the car as such with 2 burned out sealed beams.

What is the factory light output/behavior on low beam and on high beam?

I have h4 hella housings on my outer most lights and moved the old sealed beams (3 prong) to the inner position. When the h4's are on high beam the sealed beam inners appear to be on low beam then the opposite when the h4s are on low beam. To run 4 on high do i need to switch which pins im using on the inner sealed beams? since the inner harness only has 2 prongs?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That's how I have mine. The highs are only 2 prong, so you would need to make a conversion harness to run highs on the 2 filament bulb. I run them on low because it has a wider dispersion. When the Hellas are on high, the lows in the center work well.

Reactions: 1 user

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
That's how I have mine. The highs are only 2 prong, so you would need to make a conversion harness to run highs on the 2 filament bulb. I run them on low because it has a wider dispersion. When the Hellas are on high, the lows in the center work well.

factory are there 4 beams on all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor