HELP Upgrading Sealed Beams to H4 Headlamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
Completed the Hella e code install. A few observations.
- much better road lighting while keeping OEM look
- p.i.t.a. to install headlights in a SS
- without the harness adapters high beams are on dimly...must use supplied harness extension
- the heat radiating from the front of lit lights is really handy for warming up cold fingers
- I have not yet made and installed a relay light switched circuit - undecided at this time.

FYI....Kirban Performance offers a great hd headlight wiring harness with dual relays that works great!
It's a direct plug N play installation. Should be a good fix to ensure you are protecting your switches and ensures proper and full voltage to your headlights

Here's a link:
http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/44103/H4+Headlights+Upgraded+Plug-and-Play+HARNESS+#7531.html

For your Buick, Regal Grand National, 3.8 1987

$67.95

Product Description

1981-1987 Buick Regal (All Models) -
1981-1988 GM - ALL A-Body and G-Body Models -
UPGRADED H4 55/60 HEADLIGHTS (4) KIT, HARNESS & HEADLIGHT

This kit will fit every GM car that takes this same size four headlight system, including all 1981-1988 GM A-Body and G-Body models.

NOTE - Kit #7530 and Harness #7531 will not work with HID headlights.

We have examined several of the various H4 headlight systems available and have found one that closely resembles the original style headlight. The headlight is glass and looks very close to the original glass face of your sealed beam headlight. To eliminate possible problems with the factory headlight switch and its ability to handle higher wattage bulbs, we also include a special plug-in harness. This plug-in harness takes the current directly from the battery after you turn on the headlights. The headlight switch is merely used to turn them on. This eliminates any possible problems with the 25-year-old headlight switch.

The stock sealed beam headlights are 45/55 watts. These new H4 formatted headlights already have a 55/60 watt bulbs installed. The plug-in harness that comes with this kit has two 80 amp relays and an in-line fuse to prevent any overloads.

The custom-made plug-in harness is highly recommended in the G-Body cars to eliminate any possible issues with the original headlight switch. Issues with higher wattage bulbs can cause the headlights to flicker or turn off completely.

This plug-in harness also allows you to upgrade to even higher wattage halogen bulbs (maximum 80 watts), if you want. It has been tested by our source running four 100 watt bulbs for over one hour with no problems. The plug-in harness is designed to be virtually undetectable under the hood.

Just upgrading to the 55/60 watt H4 setup will be an improvement on overall lighting, compared to what now is the antique sealed beam format. Once you get this H4 upgrade, you can easily upgrade to higher wattage bulbs, if desired.

Another upgrade that improves lighting while keeping your car stock appearing.

NOTE - We offer the set of four, or individually if you wish to purchase an extra H4 headlight the 55/60 watt H4 bulb as a spare (Part #7532.)

NOTE - We offer the Upgraded Plug-and-Play Harness (Part #7531) if you want to install a headlight kit from another source. This harness will work with all upgraded systems.

Another great upgrade to improve the brightness of the headlights, while retaining a stock appearance.

Here are the three options for these parts. We have highlighted in RED the one you are ordering if you order through this particular page.

7530 - 1981-1987 Buick Regal (All Models) -
Upgraded H4 Headlights (4) Kit - $129.95
Includes Four 55/60 H4 Bulbs and Plug-and-Play Harness

7531 - 1981-1987 Buick Regal (All Models) -
H4 Headlights Upgraded Plug-and-Play HARNESS - $61.95

7532 - 1981-1987 Buick Regal (All Models) -
SINGLE Upgraded H4 Headlight with 55/60 Bulb Installed - $22.95 each

7531 - 1981-1987 Buick Regal (All Models) -
H4 Headlights Upgraded Plug-and-Play HARNESS - $61.95

Part # Applications Sale QTY
7531 Buick Regal Grand National 3.8 1982-1987 $67.95

Attachments

• Kirban Upgraded Headlight Harness.jpg
    Kirban Upgraded Headlight Harness.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 365
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Just so people are aware, the OE system incorporates an auto-reset circuit breaker in the headlamp switch so that in the event of a fault in the circuit, you will not be totally without lamps (CB cycles to allow SOME light to navigate by). This is why there is no "headlamp" fuse Using the switch only to trigger the relays, and adding a fuse to the circuit creates a situation that could potentially leave you in total darkness in the event of a fault in the circuit that exceeds the fuse rating. Replacing the fuse with a properly load-rated auto-reset circuit breaker would leave the operation of the circuit in an OE safety-spec configuration.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it REALLY sucks having NO light to drive by.

• Informative

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Ribbedroof - thank you very much for posting this tip.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Just so people are aware, the OE system incorporates an auto-reset circuit breaker in the headlamp switch so that in the event of a fault in the circuit, you will not be totally without lamps (CB cycles to allow SOME light to navigate by). This is why there is no "headlamp" fuse Using the switch only to trigger the relays, and adding a fuse to the circuit creates a situation that could potentially leave you in total darkness in the event of a fault in the circuit that exceeds the fuse rating. Replacing the fuse with a properly load-rated auto-reset circuit breaker would leave the operation of the circuit in an OE safety-spec configuration.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it REALLY sucks having NO light to drive by.

That is a great point, I have mentioned this a few times in posts. I found that out when I was using high end halogen bulbs in the conversion lenses. The low beams worked fine but on a old country road that had no street lights I tried out the high beams which went on for a second and then a click and all the headlights went out. That was not fun on a road that I was not familiar with but I got it stopped. Turned the lights off and the high beams off, within seconds the thermal switch in the headlight switch reset so i could use the low beams. Put in relays the next day and no more blackouts for me.

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Went for a drive/headlight aim tonight. The Hella H4 E code is a huge improvement and well worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I just recently installed the headlight relay kit for my H4's....what a difference. I had the opportunity to try them out last night....I was truly impressed.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I just recently installed the headlight relay kit for my H4's....what a difference. I had the opportunity to try them out last night....I was truly impressed.

It's hard to believe we actually drove these cars at nite with the stock headlights and survived...:)

• Agree

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
It's hard to believe we actually drove these cars at nite with the stock headlights and survived...:)
Back then there were less idiots on the road and perhaps we relied on skill and luck to get us home safely.
Back in '72 I upgraded the 7" round sealed beams in my Karmann Ghia to Bosch Quartz halogens - what a difference - It would cast enough of a light beam to land a Jumbo(747).

• Agree

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I actually have H4 bulbs in my 356. Being that it still has a 6-volt system, it really wasn't much brighter than stock. I also added dual relays to it, and it certainly was an improvement.
It also helps prolong the life of the headlight switch.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The stock headlamps are a joke...but you're right. Steve, we did rely on these less than adequate headlights.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor