Upper Control Arm Bushing Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
So my upper control arm bushings are toast. They lasted 32 years but now there is a "clank" sound coming from the driver's side and the bushings are very deteriorated.

So what do I do? Midas wants $700 bucks to replace the bushings, the upper ball joints (which were replaced only 3 years ago and should not be worn) and do an alignment. Seriously?

How intensive is this job? Can it be done in my garage with common tools? Or should I take it somewhere less expensive?

Suggestions on bushings? moog? Energy Suspension?

Thanks Guys!

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
just finished doing this. the bushings need to be pressed in. i used energy suspension. if it isn't a dd look at ub machine arms.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
anthony chacon 80 said:
So my upper control arm bushings are toast. They lasted 32 years but now there is a "clank" sound coming from the driver's side and the bushings are very deteriorated.

So what do I do? Midas wants $700 bucks to replace the bushings, the upper ball joints (which were replaced only 3 years ago and should not be worn) and do an alignment. Seriously?

How intensive is this job? Can it be done in my garage with common tools? Or should I take it somewhere less expensive?

Thanks Guys!

That's a rip off. Moog replacement upper bushings from rockauto are $14 bucks, The upper ball joints are $21 I can change them in my driveway in about an hour with an air chisel.
The last alignment I got was about $40 bucks.
You could replace every part in the ft end of a G-Body for a whole lot less then $700.
"NO BODY BEATS MIDAS MY *ss "

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Pretty simple procedure,invest 90.00 in a bushing remover/installer tool from" hnr" parts n stuff.tool is the buisness when it comes to these bushings.removed and installed all my bushings front top and bottom arms,rear trailing arms,and rabbit ears in about an hour :wink:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I too think $700. is a rip-off. I don't know how much mechanical aptitude you have, but it's not a difficult job with the right tools and being safety conscious.
I also went with Energy Suspension urethane bushings. They're firmer, deflect less than rubber, but the downside is that they tend to squeak. Usually going over speed bumps on cooler mornings. But it doesn't bother me.
Maybe look into the type with grease fittings.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
i am probably going to buy new upper control arms. didn't figure b body spindels needed dif arms to get the correct camber.

these factory stock upper front arms will have new (15 miles on them) energy suspension bushings installed. they are all cleened up and painted black. all you will need it to bolt on your ball joint. if interested let me know.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Longroof79 said:
I too think $700. is a rip-off. I don't know how much mechanical aptitude you have, but it's not a difficult job with the right tools and being safety conscious.
I also went with Energy Suspension urethane bushings. They're firmer, deflect less than rubber, but the downside is that they tend to squeak. Usually going over speed bumps on cooler mornings. But it doesn't bother me.

you can drill thru the metal cover and the bushing material with a 7/32 bit to install a grease fitting ....

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
pontiacgp said:
Longroof79 said:

you can drill thru the metal cover and the bushing material with a 7/32 bit to install a grease fitting ....
=====================================================================================================
I haven't thought of that. That's a good point. I guess trying to do that with ones already installed may not be a good idea.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Longroof79 said:
pontiacgp said:
Longroof79 said:

=====================================================================================================
I haven't thought of that. That's a good point. I guess trying to do that with ones already installed may not be a good idea.

I was thinking about doing that with my sway bar brackets. I have a gazillion new zerk fittings just sitting in a container. Looks like I'll be applying them to my suspension bushings now. My only suggestion would be to make sure you de-burr the inner surface after drilling. We wouldn't want to shred those nice new bushings would we?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
anthonychacon80 said:

Thanks Guys!

If you're just going to change the bushings in question, might as well go with Moog. If you feel like doing them all I'd go Energy Suspension or Prothane. My E.S. bushings ran about $60 from summit, that covers both sides, upper & lower.

Here's a link to my thread with what I did and everyone else's suggestions if it helps
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23273&start=195

Aren't you in the Chicago area too? If you get the arms off and want a hand just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor