Uuugh! Rearbrake backing plate misery

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's not hard to remove the axles to replace the backing plates. The worst part is to remove the nut from the pin at the top.....plus how old is the diff oil?

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Not sure if they still make them or not but, they used to offer a two piece backing plate so you don't have to pull the axles. Might try to call around and see if anyone has them.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
pontiacgp said:
it's not hard to remove the axles to replace the backing plates. The worst part is to remove the nut from the pin at the top.....plus how old is the diff oil?
Chitons manual has me smucked up! 82' Regal As Is Now: Secured on blocks, tires off, Drivers side- backing plate top main off bolt off, bottom 2 smaller ones twisted off (Uuugh!) Backing plate removed, 2 bottom bolts need drilled out/re-tapped (Fun), Diff cover removed and internal/oil looks clean. OBJECTIVE: Install new backing plate, new gasket on rear and refill rear. Do Not Want To Tear Into My Rear, Snag-Nabit, to replace backing plate? :wtf:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You just have to remove the pinion shaft to get the axles out...remove the pin, use a 5/16 6 point to remove the pin, not a 12 point (it will round it off). You'll have to remove one cap so mark it to make sure it goes back on the same way it came off. The turn the housing 180* so you can tap the pinion shaft out about an inch and then turn the carrier 180* so you can use the pin to help you get the shaft out. The push the axles in and and remove the C clips..

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
pontiacgp said:
You just have to remove the pinion shaft to get the axles out..
I'm pushin' 40 and am proud to say I have done 95% of my own work on all my cars over the years, Never had to mess with Rear-Gear-Box! Not even sure of where the pinion shaft is under the diff. cover I removed. Thanks for your patience. My Chilton's talked about a special puller and slide hammer to press bearings back in/out? :wtf:

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
If you really don't want to pull the axles, go to Napa. We have the two-piece backing plates. They are Balkamp number 6411478. There not cheap but they come with new wheel cylinders and some hardware.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
jrm81bu said:
If you really don't want to pull the axles, go to Napa. We have the two-piece backing plates. They are Balkamp number 6411478. There not cheap but they come with new wheel cylinders and some hardware.
I'm replacing wheel cylinders and all so I will check out your product.... Thanks! I wouldn't mind pullin' the axle shafts if I honestly had more confidence to do so. Thanks to all for your input!

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I will back pontiacgp up in that pulling an axle is quite simple and straightforward. You don't need to pull the bearings or anything. All it requires is what pontiacgp said, no work outside of the case. If you follow what he said or maybe looked up how to you would see that it really is not too bad at all if you wanted to try it. And I agree the gear oil should probably be changed.

But to each his own. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor