vent air which ducts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo786

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2015
Hello, I was wondering if you are running the vent in these cars, will there be air blowing from the middle vents also? On my car when I turn it on it only comes out the bottom floor vents. The first time I turned it on it took a few seconds and then made a noise before it started blowing from the bottom so I'm not sure if something went wrong with the air deflectors? It most likely sat for a while and not sure how much it was ever used. Thanks!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Is it an air conditioned car, or heat only? It sounds like it may be a vacuum problem either at the hvac control, or an under dash vacuum line that could be bad. First make sure you're getting vacuum from the source... your engine.
What type of car is it?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's probably your hvac control on the dash...well, actually the small vacuum pod on the back of it. I just recently had to replace mine after going thru a few spares that I have. I was fortunate to find a good one in the junkyard. To make a long story short, it's now working properly. Does you car have the vacuum canister ball under the hood? If so, you'll see a hose coming off either the back of the carb, or intake manifold. First thing would be to make sure that you have vacuum going to the ball, and to the feed line going up thru the dash. I think it's a purple plastic line...if i recall.
I'm not sure if your Cutlass has the vacuum canister/ ball. I'm thinking Chevrolet.

waldo786

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2015
Well, good news, I tried it again today, and it did work so that air was coming out of the middle vents. Not sure what is behind the dash, but I'd prefer to not have to take it apart to find out and that it will keep working. Hopefully it's just that it's been sitting for a while and dusting off the cobwebs so they say.

waldo786

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2015
Where is the vacuum canister ball located? I also have an 80 Firebird I'm working on so this is interesting as that car will also most likely need work done it also. Luckily there's a place online that sells refurbished controls.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well, good news, I tried it again today, and it did work so that air was coming out of the middle vents. Not sure what is behind the dash, but I'd prefer to not have to take it apart to find out and that it will keep working. Hopefully it's just that it's been sitting for a while and dusting off the cobwebs so they say.
Well, that is good news. Maybe the blend door(s) become sticky. They rely on vacuum to activate the servos that open and close the vent doors.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Where is the vacuum canister ball located? I also have an 80 Firebird I'm working on so this is interesting as that car will also most likely need work done it also. Luckily there's a place online that sells refurbished controls.
Well that's good to know. I know they're not available from GM, so unless you find someone that has NOS parts. I think your car didn't come with the vacuum ball. I took my control out of an '80's Cutlass and I noticed the ball wasn't present.
They're usually on the right side( left side if your looking at it with the hood open) of the engine compartment near the a/c heater box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor