Vortec 350 in a 79 MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmangham

Apprentice
Dec 11, 2009
OK, should be getting the Vortec soon. Going in a 79 MC w/305 now. Will have some questions along the way. This may have been covered already. I am going 350 trans for now. I know I need a 1 piece rear seal flywheel. What vehicle do I need to get it from? Car different than truck? I know it is 1986 and up i need to look for, just not sure on vehicle.

Shouldn't matter on the exact vehicle application :mrgreen:

There was no flywheel included with the motor?? Dont they normally come with a flywheel and balancer?

I have a vortec 350 with a TH350 trans. Got it from the junkyard w/ flywheel and balancer.

Just get a stock replacement for something that came with a vortec(any one-piece rear main flexplate should work). Like this. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 2923_60717
Just try to make sure it has 6 holes for the convertor mounting, that will make sure it has both torque convertor patterns, so it should bolt to your existing convertor.

Thanks. Yes it will prob come with a flywheel. Just wondered about number of teeth, mounting holes w/350 trans etc. Will I need the starter from the donor vehicle (or one like it)? Or will my old one work? I know there is a straight and diag starter bolt pattern.

Also, motor mounts, just get new ones just like whats in their or...?

Thanks again.

Moroso sells new mounts (got mine from summitt racing.com) but if your old clamshells work then just clean em up and paint em, not like they go bad. Def get new bushings for em, think i paid 20 bucks from energy suspension

jmangham said:
Thanks. Yes it will prob come with a flywheel. Just wondered about number of teeth, mounting holes w/350 trans etc. Will I need the starter from the donor vehicle (or one like it)? Or will my old one work? I know there is a straight and diag starter bolt pattern.

Also, motor mounts, just get new ones just like whats in their or...?

Thanks again.

transmission will bolt up just fine. The starter may be an issue as your 305 may have the small diameter flywheel and the new 350 will have the larger one. Just measure once you get the 305 out. For the mounts, use the block side off your 305 on the 350, just to make sure it goes in smoothly and buy new frame mounts from any local parts store, stock replacements for your 305 will be fine.

Dont know if anyone mentioned it, but you'll have to get a new starter as well. Something that's set up for a 168 tooth flkexplate, your stock starter won't fit. I just ran into this problem last night >_<. Had to run out to get a mini-starter at 6 in the aft so I could start the car >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor