wandering idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Is the car getting warmed up enough to go into 'closed loop'?

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I was messing with it today and it was up to tempature. I shouldn't have said I got no codes i got the 12 code that it always does so it seems to be working. Is there a problem with running without the TPS cause it seems to run fine

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I was messing with it today and it was up to tempature. I shouldn't have said I got no codes i got the 12 code that it always does so it seems to be working. Is there a problem with running without the TPS cause it seems to run fine
"
code 12 is no distributor pulse "The engine will not run with a "hard" code 12 set"

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't see how it can run right with the TPS unhooked.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I don't quite get it either but with it unhooked the idle is steady and does not try to die out. I pulled the prom, its a hypertech 31291. Doesnt seem to be anything special but it was already in the car.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I just stuck the old prom back in it and still idles like crap with the TPS on but it threw a code. Code 21- tps circuit voltage high (open or misadjusted)

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
TPS seems to be just about the flimsiest part in the "feedback carburetor" system. They first develop dead spots that confuse the computer for a while, then wear out entirely.

One thing the computer controls that you didn't mention is fuel mixture, by way of a solenoid in the carburetor. For that to work right two "idle mixture" needles must be adjusted by hand, in "closed loop" at idle in Drive, so the computer is "centered" within the range of control it has to work with. You watch how you're doing with those needles with a dwell meter. (Sweep dwell meters aren't easy to find these days. Some digital multimeters have a dwell function, but sweep is easier to read.) The catch-22 is, everything else has to be working right before you even bother checking the needles. They're likely to need backing out to richen the mixture, due to E10 or whatever you have at the pump these days.

EDIT: Oops -- I keep forgetting, there are TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS of the mixture control system. Both versions have an idle air bleed valve as well as the two needles. If the bleed valve has a letter stamped on its top, then you adjust the needles and leave the bleed valve alone. If the bleed valve has no letter, then you adjust the bleed valve and leave the needles alone. Either way, you use the dwell meter. It's an arcane system and you really need the factory shop manual, which can be dense and confusing.

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
First use avoltmeter to see what the TPS is putting out and if it has flat spots. It should read 0.5 volts at closed throttle, about 4.5 volts at WOT, and should be getting 5.0 volts in reference voltage from the ECM. Disconnecting a major sensor like the TPS usually sends the ECM into limp mode where the carb defaults to full rich. Have you used a analog dwell meter to see what commands the ECM is sending to the carb? Rich command means it is trying to offset a lean condition. Lean command means it is trying to offset a rich problem. Another issue may be the lockup solenoid in the trans, pretty common for them to fail and cause stalling problems at stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor