Welding sheet metal with flux core vs gas shield welder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
axisg is in Toronto and you can't ship that over the border......:(
You guys don't have Harbor Freight? It's empty. Couldn't it be shipped empty?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You guys don't have Harbor Freight? It's empty. Couldn't it be shipped empty?

no Harbor Freight in Canada and even to buy it empty and have it shipped with the exchange of the dollar and shipping costs it would cost more than buying it local

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've used flux core before. It works okay for heavier gauge metal...16 ga. and above, but for general sheetmetal work, I prefer using argon/ CO2. It lays down a cleaner weld. Prior to that, I've used oxy-acetylene, and have done some sheetmetal repair with it. It requires a small tip like an 00 and 01...and not to keep the heat in one place too long.

All in all, invest in a small tank of argon/ CO2, that's what I did. The welds are noticeably different between flux and MIG.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
TSC ( tractor supply co ) sells them outright ?? I thought since the Sunrise explosion you needed to either rent the bottles ( and pay an month rental fee ) or have a license of sorts to re-fill bottles that you own outright. I know my oxy / acyt set is well over 20 years old now LOL. And the last few years it's been a bit of a pain to get then re-filled.

I forgot to mention that Argon is not flammable....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Texas - we have Princess Auto which is better than Harbor Freight IMO. Same cheap tools as HF but they have a hydraulic section for custom hoses and a surplus section for all kinds of cheap stuff

GP- good point about the Argon being non-flammable.

Longroof - I learned to weld and do bodywork with oxy / acet and brass coat hangers LOL Its a pain to work with when you just want to tack on an exhaust clamp or do some minor sheet metal repairs and not set the car on fire in the process.

Guess I will start my Kijiji search for a Mig. X-mas is coming so I guess I will buy myself an early present !

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think for sheet metal work you will be happier with the cleaner welds from argon/co2 welding, flux core comes in handy if you are outside welding in windy conditions
I would also stick with name brand mig welders so that consumables and possible parts later on will always be available at a local welding supply or online.
I would also not limit yourself to welder that can't weld thicker materials because once you start using one you might find other welding projects that you might not have considered before and if the budget allows and you have the power source go with a 220-240 volt welder it will not have to work as hard with the additional power.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have a small-ish MIG Lincoln 180 with a 75/25 Argon/CO2 bottle set-up that works really nice. My buddy just used it to weld up a cage for his Fox body drag car. Mine is 220. I scored it on craigslist, new in the box. Hobart welders are nice, I have had a few in the past, have a big Miller 250 for heavy stuff. The smaller MIG goes up to like 5/16 or so. I found mine for $450. The big trick with body work or panels is to stitch weld it to keep it from drawing or warping.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The big trick with body work or panels is to stitch weld it to keep it from drawing or warping.

In my experience (and I have A LOT in welding sheetmetal), even a stitch weld is far too long and too hot depending on the gauge of metal being used. A stitch weld on sheetmetal will cause a warped mess that'll be near impossible to fix.

You're far better off to do a series of "tack" welds, move around as much as possible, and let the panel cool as much as you can in between. If you have access to compressed air, blowing on the tacks with an air gun helps minimize the warpage immensely and greatly speeds up the process.
HTH.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Nice welder but way out of my price range. I have a $300 budget ATM, so selling some other stuffs and doing some side work to raise the rest of the funds. Hoping $500 all-in will get me there with something used or maybe I can find someone willing to barter.

Trading emails with a guy selling a Lincoln Mig15

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor