Welding sheet metal with flux core vs gas shield welder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Ok, I have been spoiled for years with access to skilled welders and machinery. However my friend has now moved his shop out of town and I no longer have instant access to his skill or the mig, tig, and plasma machines.
I have an ancient stick welder, and my Oxy / Acet torches which works well for heavier stuff but looking at buying a machine to do thinner metals ( floor pans, exhaust, etc... ) Really not interested in renting an Argon bottle so I would like some real world opinions on using a flux core self shielding wire. I don't manufacture just need something for the occasional repair so light to medium duty should be fine.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if your metal is new and or well cleaned flux core is ok and the wire speed is more critical with flux core cause it will backburn easier..

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I'm not a professional welder but I do own a MIG welder and I have used it some. MIG welding (with argon/CO2) is "easier". It's not hard to learn to lay down a decent bead. There's no slag to clean up. Flux core does leave slag to clean up and from what I've read, you can weld thicker metal with it than you can with MIG.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it is easier with MIG and you can get the tanks at TSC, they are on sale now and not expensive. For personal use you probably just need a small tank...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
TSC ( tractor supply co ) sells them outright ?? I thought since the Sunrise explosion you needed to either rent the bottles ( and pay an month rental fee ) or have a license of sorts to re-fill bottles that you own outright. I know my oxy / acyt set is well over 20 years old now LOL. And the last few years it's been a bit of a pain to get then re-filled.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I bought my argon tank from Tractor Supply. It's a fairly hassle free experience to exchange an empty tank for a full one. I suggest that you buy the biggest tank you can afford. It costs quite a bit more for the bigger tanks but it doesn't cost very much more to get refills compared to the small tanks.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
For sheet metal, the lower end flux core machines are usually too hot. I have a flux core that only has a high/low switch and wire speed adjust and with thinner metals it very hard not to burn thru.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor