What, another LS swap cost thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup.

The wagon was a very expensive swap, the Monte was not very expensive - it was just expensive.
That’s how this game works. That’s not including the random parts store runs.
To be honest it’d I were to do it again... It would’ve been more expensive... I would’ve gone with better swap mounts and a better pan.(which I plan to do anyway).

Reactions: Injectedcutty
You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait till the bills for the new mullet machine you just bought add up.

The womenfolk are expensive. Their cars? Even more so...

Around my area, you be hard pressed to find a rebuildable core for $500, yet alone a complete running LS motor. I have heard some of the LS guys complaining that the supply of cheap running used LS motors are drying up in some areas. However, you can get rebuildable SBC cores for $100 in my area.

Also if you live in a strict low emission area, the only legal LS swap will be a Erod crate kit. Even reflashing the PCM is considered emission tampering and someplaces do check for reflashing. Some LS factory front accessory arrangements will not clear G body frames.

I'm going to lace out a guess that you live in California.

The rustbelt has some SERIOUS downfalls, but one updide is that the junkyard is loaded with trucks with less than 200K that are less than 10-15yrs old with frames rotted in half and/or bodies that have 1/2 of their original mass.

4.8's locally are $2-300 in running condition. Add $1-200 for 5.3's. 6.0's - stupid $1000-1500. Personally, I'd rather spin a 4.8 to 7800 than break a $1500 6.0 at 6800 rpm's.

The place in the pic below will have a sale every 4-6 weeks and sell engines for $150. Show up with $500 and grab 3. It's a 5 minute drive from me.

Engine Price.png

Last edited:

The rustbelt has some SERIOUS downfalls, but one updide is that the junkyard is loaded with trucks with less than 200K that are less than 10-15yrs old with frames rotted in half and/or bodies that have 1/2 of their original mass.

4.8's locally are $2-300 in running condition. Add $1-200 for 5.3's. 6.0's - stupid $1000-1500. Personally, I'd rather spin a 4.8 to 7800 than break a $1500 6.0 at 6800 rpm's.

The place in the pic below will have a sale every 4-6 weeks and sell engines for $150. Show up with $500 and grab 3. It's a 5 minute drive from me.

View attachment 152922
If thats the case it's time to buy an enclosed trailer, buy $6000 worth of engines at a time, drive out where they sell for so much more and hold parking lot sales.

You buy at 150, sell at 600. Doing volume you split overhead across 40 units. Maybe into it for $200ea all said, triple your money instantly, and, sell fast because it's 40% off to the buyer.

View attachment 152922

I live in NJ and know the rust belt quite well here. Cars and trucks do not sit in the yards here for long, and most are smashed base models. People here want high prices for anything LS, about triple of SBC prices. Factory LS oil pumps are only goood to 6.2k rpms, higher than that they begin to cavitate besides the LS's deep skirt windage issues.

I have a friend who swapped in a bone stock 5.3 into his Monte. So far, the cost of his swap has ballooned to $13k for a basic install with him doing all the work. That is near 3 times what I paid for my Ford CVPI which is a whole complete running car with heavy duty parts! Not to mention a stock CVPI can easily outhandle most G bodies. If one really wants LS power, the most effective route is just buy a used factory LS powered car as they are all around far superior to even LS swapped G bodies. ABS brakes, better A/C, airbags, much better suspensions, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor