What, another LS swap cost thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in NJ and know the rust belt quite well here. Cars and trucks do not sit in the yards here for long, and most are smashed base models. People here want high prices for anything LS, about triple of SBC prices. Factory LS oil pumps are only goood to 6.2k rpms, higher than that they begin to cavitate besides the LS's deep skirt windage issues.

I have a friend who swapped in a bone stock 5.3 into his Monte. So far, the cost of his swap has ballooned to $13k for a basic install with him doing all the work. That is near 3 times what I paid for my Ford CVPI which is a whole complete running car with heavy duty parts! Not to mention a stock CVPI can easily outhandle most G bodies. If one really wants LS power, the most effective route is just buy a used factory LS powered car as they are all around far superior to even LS swapped G bodies. ABS brakes, better A/C, airbags, much better suspensions, etc.

You really do love some confirmation bias in your life, eh? You constantly hate on everything and anything you have no experience with in fear of actually finding a better experience and having to change your position. Stock LS oil pumps and blocks have far surpassed your preconceived notions. Far. Anyone paying $13K for a "basic" swap is obviously a fool and being separated from their money. A Crown Vic is a horrible comparison to a G-body... of course it has the potential to be better stock for stock: It. Is. Newer.

But this isn't GrossOldFordsAreBetterForum.com, it is GBodyForum.com - get with the program and stop trying to discourage people from working toward a viable goal.

#muhhellcatcanbeatyourCVPI

That is near 3 times what I paid for my Ford CVPI which is a whole complete running car with heavy duty parts! Not to mention a stock CVPI can easily outhandle most G bodies.
Mod motor, typical bland ford interior, millions of them on the road.....I think I'd want to blow my brains out if a CVPI was my project car. I could maybe tolerate one as a daily beater.....but even then I'd be wanting something more interesting.

• Agree
Reactions: fleming442
I live in NJ and know the rust belt quite well here. Cars and trucks do not sit in the yards here for long, and most are smashed base models. People here want high prices for anything LS, about triple of SBC prices. Factory LS oil pumps are only goood to 6.2k rpms, higher than that they begin to cavitate besides the LS's deep skirt windage issues.

I have a friend who swapped in a bone stock 5.3 into his Monte. So far, the cost of his swap has ballooned to $13k for a basic install with him doing all the work. That is near 3 times what I paid for my Ford CVPI which is a whole complete running car with heavy duty parts! Not to mention a stock CVPI can easily outhandle most G bodies. If one really wants LS power, the most effective route is just buy a used factory LS powered car as they are all around far superior to even LS swapped G bodies. ABS brakes, better A/C, airbags, much better suspensions, etc.

I have less than $5k in my entire turbo build + purchase of the vehicle.

You can't do that with a 🤢CVPI 🤢

Here's a spreadsheet I've been keeping.

And you're very wrong about this supposed rpm limit to the oil pumps.

Reactions: MidnightRambler
Mod motor, typical bland ford interior, millions of them on the road.....I think I'd want to blow my brains out if a CVPI was my project car. I could maybe tolerate one as a daily beater.....but even then I'd be wanting something more interesting.

More like you and LS Cutty had too many bad experiences in the backseats of active duty CVPIs, LOL. Its both a DD and a bit of project. Its so much better built than G bodies sad to say, very tough cars built to win chases through endurance and easy to work on. Thick gauge fully boxed frame, front suspension so good people swap them into other cars, Watts link in the rear. Most fast cars are not built to run fast for long, low endurance. The point is a LS swap can easily exceed the costs of entire used cars, not just base econo boxes either.

My friend paid $4k for his 5.3. There were hosts of setbacks with the install, I don't know all of the details.

Stock LS oil pumps do have calivation issues from running twice the speed by being crank driven plus the extra long intake tube. All deep skirt engines have bad windage, its why the LS7 attempt to band aid these issues with a semi dry sump oil system.

Ohh, 4.8s only make about 20 more hp than Ford 4.6s, 270 vs 250. Plus for $5k, a Mustang supercharger bolts right into a Panther.

Last edited:
Unsubstantiated claims.

I'mma need you to cite your sources, I've never heard of calivation.

I know what cavitation is, and it is inevitable in any hydraulic system when there is a rapid pressure change.

#vaporbubbleslivesmatter

Reactions: Injectedcutty
Unsubstantiated claims.

I'mma need you to cite your sources, I've never heard of calivation.

I know what cavitation is, and it is inevitable in any hydraulic system when there is a rapid pressure change.

#vaporbubbleslivesmatter

Found these few in two seconds. You should try this thing called "search" next time. Also your Ebay garbage turbo will puke its guts and blow your engine in under 30k.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generati...169-potential-oiling-issues.html#post18847340

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/07/front-mounted-oil-pumps-good-troublesome/

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/ls-engine-oil-control-an-in-depth-look-at-best-practices/

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...ction-is-high-pressure-or-high-volume-better/

62f86167ecc6b90a71fb5b0f1b1d104acbac3617f562e205dd2920c49e774776_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fleming442
Good job!

It's not my job to search for answers to your claims lololol that's not how it works.

I appreciate the links.

ahhh... here we go.

LS1 Tech. No real information, just a post from a user that might as well be a dog.

Second link clearly says " Many oil pumps start to cavitate around 5,000 to 6,000 engine RPM. Cavitation occurs when the pump gears are spinning faster than the oil can be pulled into the pump." So as long as you are running the appropriate amount of oil without any pick up issues, no worries.

3rd link is trying to sell products so, yeah. Enough said.

Directly from your fourth link "One of the limitations of all oil pumps is a condition called cavitation. At some speed (dependent on oil viscosity), the gears inside the pump will actually be spinning faster than the oil can flow through the pump. When this limit is reached, small bubbles form along the trailing edges of the gears. This is cavitation." Sounds like an oil issue, not a pump issue. Oh wait there's an oil ad in there. huh.

You got any real info instead of conjecture and people trying to sell performance parts?

Its both a DD and a bit of project. Its so much better built than G bodies sad to say, very tough cars built to win chases through endurance and easy to work on. Thick gauge fully boxed frame, front suspension so good people swap them into other cars, Watts link in the rear. Most fast cars are not built to run fast for long, low endurance.

Why do you own a g-body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor