What did I do

iamthecarley

iamthecarley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Originally I had one problem, my horn wasn't connected, so I took off the steering wheel to properly put it together.

Since my wiper/turn signal lever switch was just so broke and frayed, I figured I'd swap that now.

And for shits and giggles, as I learned more about the steering column, I realized that the looseness it had needed to be dealt with and I may as well try while the wheel etc were off. I'm not really planning on doing this again soon.

PROBLEM: Every so often I would start my engine up just to get things flowing and not stagnant because this is taking so much longer than I'd expected. About a week ago I can no longer start my car. Same time the radio doesn't turn on. Lights etc are good, so is battery. I'm so scared I messed up the ignition somehow and I wouldn't even know what I did because I wasn't trying to. I never got that far yet, and I am nowhere near confident enough to blindly fix something.

I'm getting so frustrated. Ideas?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1evilregal

1evilregal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
if the ignition lock is working properly, then you may just need to make a slight adjustment on the switch... taking up the looseness in the column may have thrown the actuating rod into a new position...

iamthecarley

iamthecarley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
:( I haven't gotten far enough to tighten the column. The last thing I did was switch out the wiper/blinker /cruise control handle. To my knowledge I haven't touched anything ignition related, but what's the most likely accidental thing to happen? I'm at a loss.

iamthecarley

iamthecarley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Also, how would I go about doing this?
if the ignition lock is working properly, then you may just need to make a slight adjustment on the switch... taking up the looseness in the column may have thrown the actuating rod into a new position...

xitabl442

xitabl442

G-Body Guru
Also, how would I go about doing this?

There are a few 5/16 screws on the top of the column that hold the switch in place. You should be able to see it from the right side of the column. The key pushes a rod on the top of the column, so the switch should probably be moved up, or closer to the ignition cylinder.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot Mike's Montes P-S-T Southside Machine Performance UMI Performance

contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor