What did you buy for your G body today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I broke down and bought a USA made NOS 3.73 ring and pinion kit for the 85 442. I thought AAM OEM might be the good way to go, but then found out they're made in somewhere offshore. They may be good, but then again, if I'm going to buy new ones, get what I know will work.

Found a 350 to replace the seized 305, for about $500.

Putting a deposit on it, now just waiting to my disability cheque comes at the end of March.
What's the deal on your 350, year and coming out of?

Reactions: g0thiac
I got some used parts for the front wheel tub revisions I've been working on. I found a couple of original parts tweaked when I pulled the front end apart so I got some used replacements & also picked up an additional part to use toward the installation of the taller sheet-metal tubs. 4hr drive total for the effort but established a good connection w/a new parts source that should prove beneficial for future needs.

I THOUGHT I bought a Thexton CCC carb tool set from Thexton, but apparently I was wrong. USPS shipped it all the way from them until it got to Atlanta. Then for some reason, it went back to Minnesota. It's now out for delivery today somewhere in Minneapolis. WTF???

Found a good deal on a few NOS GM engine gaskets and other sundry items so I snagged them up.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
What's the deal on your 350, year and coming out of?
Came out of a Chevrolet CK pickup, unknown KM, TBI based motor. For $500, and the fact the seller has a good reputation on Kijiji, I can take a risk.

I plan to throw on my intake from my 305, to use the Rochester Carburetor there, and use the dist from it as well, since I won't be using the computer controlled one.

Not sure if I need a pressure regulator with a return line either, since the Bonneville I believe uses a mechanical pump but could be wrong.

Came out of a Chevrolet CK pickup, unknown KM, TBI based motor. For $500, and the fact the seller has a good reputation on Kijiji, I can take a risk.

I plan to throw on my intake from my 305, to use the Rochester Carburetor there, and use the dist from it as well, since I won't be using the computer controlled one.

Not sure if I need a pressure regulator with a return line either, since the Bonneville I believe uses a mechanical pump but could be wrong.
Mechanical fuel pump would be located on the engine block of your 305 so that's something you should be able to verify.
The question will be does your proposed replacement TBI motor have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump or will you need to retrofit a low-psi electric pump w/a regulator & return line?

It 'may' have machined provisions for roller cam hardware in there. On the 87-96ish tbi motors the later it was the more likely it would get a block that was machined.

However, the cam in there regardless of the machine work is 99.99999999% going to be flat tappet, ie wipes lobes in "normal" oil unless you're boosting zddp.

I'd consider adding a cam. Especially if the things are machined for the roller cam...
Block should likely not be machined for a fuel pump. Sometimes, as in rarely, a block with provisions for mechanical pump got a block plate and went out the door on something that didn't need it because... well, gm being gm.
Mechanical fuel pump would be located on the engine block of your 305 so that's something you should be able to verify.
The question will be does your proposed replacement TBI motor have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump or will you need to retrofit a low-psi electric pump w/a regulator & return line?

Rebuilt the suspension system last year, then the coolant system starts leaking. Rebuilt cooling system last week, then the steering gear box starts leaking. Guess what I bought today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor