What did you buy for your G body today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Not sure yet but I'm using the link to montecarloss.com to cross reference the conversion. When I can do a mock up of the whole set up I'll try to see if they'll program. Will still be hitting the dealership with the VIN from the doner car to ensure I don't need a specific fob p/n. I still need one more door harness & the linkage for both doors but I'll still grab all the parts I can for extras. The plan also includes getting the correct terminals to directly hard wire it like it was O.E. Here's the link that was posted in another thread.
When I did this I bought a fob for a different vehicle and it would not program. The fob does specifically have to be for a Lumina from what I understand. I ordered one on ebay that specified Lumina and it worked just fine. I would still try programming with the fob you have, perhaps you got lucky and got one that works. Otherwise here is the link for the exact one I purchased:

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
When I did this I bought a fob for a different vehicle and it would not program. The fob does specifically have to be for a Lumina from what I understand. I ordered one on ebay that specified Lumina and it worked just fine. I would still try programming with the fob you have, perhaps you got lucky and got one that works. Otherwise here is the link for the exact one I purchased:

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.
Some how I did come across the need to have the fobs to match the module. I saw Rock Auto has new GM that are cheaper than GM but I'll be looking at the best price regardless with a GM fob, new or used. I have been looking over the wire diagram I copied from MonteCarloSS.com to make sure what function can & can't be used, what can be spliced where. One of the plans I have is to make a mock up harness to test everything out & program the fobs. Glad to know there are other like you & PBGBodyFan who have done this incase I run into an issue.

Reactions: 2 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Picked the 283 block from the machine shop today

Attachments

• 361DB287-E334-456E-8062-746397405698.jpeg
    361DB287-E334-456E-8062-746397405698.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
Reactions: 2 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I have to ask. Why a 283?
Because I have 4 plus of each cubic inch abc engine waiting for new life and I like trying new engine combination and with 6 vehicles to swap things in and out of a building full of new and used parts a machine shop 4 miles down the road 7 miles from Numidia dragway
Next up is a 1984 carbureted 4.3 V6 and a 3.8 229 V6 this is what I do to pass time and have a little fun it’s my hobby

Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Because I have 4 plus of each cubic inch abc engine waiting for new life and I like trying new engine combination and with 6 vehicles to swap things in and out of a building full of new and used parts a machine shop 4 miles down the road 7 miles from Numidia dragway
Next up is a 1984 carbureted 4.3 V6 and a 3.8 229 V6 this is what I do to pass time and have a little fun it’s my hobby
Fair enough.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Well if you guys saw the oil spill from last week.. it happened again.. This time it was the the line on the trans side. Thankfully it happened as soon as I put the car in drive and not while I was on the highway because I probably wouldn't have a car right now..
So to remedy this trans line situation I ordered this... I've been trying to convince the wife that I needed it but I think it's time. I debated getting a 4l80e but my cam calls for a 2800ish convertor and I feel like its gonna make the car a bare to daily.
I decided to go with an Ar5. They are pretty stout and very fairly priced. One of the things I miss the most from my old Cutlass is the 5spd.

Reactions: 3 users

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
Yes like... the AR5 plan. There will always be blah blah about blah blah blah. My old pal ran plenty of 406 combos, muncie rc's, DN 5 speed and 3:1 9" with full floaters, roadmaster 6 speed swap and his recent part time daily is a ctsv.

He asked me if an AR fits where a t5 mounts a while back, so i looked up the trans, and it sure looks as though it puts up with tuner abuse routinely.

Ive had oopsies on nice carport concrete in salmon country on the wet coast. My pal from volunteer fire dept sold parts with another volunteer down the hill... looked at me one day, says, "ya know? The lady neibor of yours is a mucky muck ciera( purposely m'speld), and a guy who likes cars should have about 2 gallons of castrol superclean, tide detergent, half dozen sand bags and a good bristle brush on hand at all times... heaven forbid she ever smells a hydroca4bon while she is out weeding her flower beds, BLINK stare BLINK stare , (pause). I went by your place the other day and i noticed a path going up the hill towards your place.

the sand can be swept up by the gutter and treated accordingly. Worms will tell y9u when the treated sand has had the toughest grease stains taken care of In its very own composte. Please don't hate. Uniform and linen services look after industrial sized mechanic bays who maintain commercial veh8cle fleets operating electric light rail systems. Super clean works pretty good in a clothes washing machine too... as an addative, with a reduced base ingredient of course.

Dish soap too, couple of sand bags. Great at maak8ng water col9rs disappear. You'd be amazed how well spill kit diapers soak crap up when sand covers them up enough to not see them.

Ya could always go to a neiboring fire hall for advice. Ask em what they do at a crash site, since "a buddy you know" is scared of slipping into dog droppings since his neiborhood is full of 2.3'ers. They deal with that all the time. Bag of Zorball kitty litter and a lot of sweeping. Looks like sunset onward and in between headlight appearances on Friday or saturday going from memory... if you're worried about a slippery surface for a while, paint a hopskotch thingy 2 doors down each side from your place. In the middle of the lanes.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Took out B-pillar post trim. from my '78 lemans parts car. I'm contemplating ordering them brand new from Dixie... Has anyone done this? How did they fit/quality?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well if you guys saw the oil spill from last week.. it happened again.. This time it was the the line on the trans side. Thankfully it happened as soon as I put the car in drive and not while I was on the highway because I probably wouldn't have a car right now..
So to remedy this trans line situation I ordered this... I've been trying to convince the wife that I needed it but I think it's time. I debated getting a 4l80e but my cam calls for a 2800ish convertor and I feel like its gonna make the car a bare to daily.
I decided to go with an Ar5. They are pretty stout and very fairly priced. One of the things I miss the most from my old Cutlass is the 5spd.

A good 3500 lock-up converter and you're never going to notice.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor