What did you do at work today?

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Time to show my ignorance. What's a water stop?
Water stop is basically a gasket between two layers of concrete
There are several types , often a flexible pvc strip is embedded in the first layer of concrete( footing) with half of the strip left protruding from footing that the wall concrete is poured on top of
In this case a flexible roll of betonite impregnated waterstop ( a little like old school automotive window sealant but not as sticky ) was proposed and accepted then installed , then at the last moment the engineers said the wanted a product that was bentonite free
So I had to cut forms open to change it
Good times :)
Hope that gives you an idea

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Plus for the extra labor involved in modifying the forms to access the footing.

Nick

Reactions: 3 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Water stop is basically a gasket between two layers of concrete
There are several types , often a flexible pvc strip is embedded in the first layer of concrete( footing) with half of the strip left protruding from footing that the wall concrete is poured on top of
In this case a flexible roll of betonite impregnated waterstop ( a little like old school automotive window sealant but not as sticky ) was proposed and accepted then installed , then at the last moment the engineers said the wanted a product that was bentonite free
So I had to cut forms open to change it
Good times :)
Hope that gives you an idea
okay, I think I've seen the stuff before on buildings. almost looks like grey chewing gum sticking out between slabs?

Reactions: 1 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
okay, I think I've seen the stuff before on buildings. almost looks like grey chewing gum sticking out between slabs?

Yes that’s the stuff , doesn’t taste like wrigley’s spearmint though… lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Not from today, but my partner and I knocked out powder coating 4 of these in under 2 hours first thing Saturday. Painting the first one took us 30 minutes and the following ones were just barely over 20 minutes each. I was expecting much more trouble than they gave us, and so was management and the other 2 shifts, so they've been getting avoided for 3 weeks while we closed out numerous other purchase orders. My supervisor and I decided to just get it over with since we're already blowing those guys out of the water in every other way.

Bradley "Coupe"r in pic 1 for scale.
IMG_20231209_053527249.jpg IMG_20231209_053611042.jpg IMG_20231209_053622950.jpg IMG_20231209_053540439.jpg

Getting inside every one of the slats would be a pain for any painter, and we have the added joy of fighting electricity rejecting the powder from these "Faraday Areas". You can have a clear line of sight, aim right where you want powder, and it just refuses to grab the metal because it's being actively repelled.

IMG_20231209_084018438.jpg IMG_20231209_083919586.jpg IMG_20231209_083952708.jpg IMG_20231209_084028403.jpg

But we nailed it. The first unit was a bit thick in a few areas and started to back-ionize (reject), so we completely changed our approach and things just worked out. So well, that there are absolutely no naked or light spots and what could be measured met our desired thickness of between 2-4 mils. Powder is Tiger Drylac Sealkor Black.

The rest of the day consisted of various large panels and construction/ agricultural items that were no challenge and not exciting to look at.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Past couple days I’ve been disassembling wear house racks as the plant is cleaning out for the final shutdown. Threw out about $20,000 of pneumatic pistons and other components ( just today)As one of the long time maintenance crew said “ The place is in its final death throes.” I won’t be there to see it happen,( I’m in the 2nd wave of job releases) but all the machines are to be dismantled and crushed. Here is a perspective of the sizes of them. This was when one of them first got installed. I worked there 22 yrs.She was a year old when I learned to run it (Before you add it up, I left the state and came back) image001.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Wow man, that's impressive and sad at the same time. I'm sorry to hear that.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor