What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
I've had problems logging on in the last couple months. But over that course of time here are the things I replaced. Upper radiator hose, thermostat 180*, spark plugs NGK V power, Wires Autolite, Distributer, and water pump. Tomorrow I have to call a locksmith to come out and replace the ignition switch. All ignition components were replaced last week.

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
We're expecting 8" of snow tomorrow which made today the official end of the season.
Put some gas in the tank, backed it into the garage and hooked up the Battery Tender.

It was a short season due to repairs that got delayed by higher priorities. Maybe next year...

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER REPLACEMENT: This is a fairly easy repair, but you will need to borrow a steering wheel puller from your local parts store.
Take the screws out of the back of the wheel, exposing the nut and washer on the shaft end. Remove them. Use the puller to pull the wheel off (thread into holes in the wheel, and stem pushes down on shaft end.)
Pull the plastic cover off, but be careful - fragile after 30 years.
Lock 'star' wheel - have to push down and use a third hand and a small sharp screwdriver or pick to dig the circlip out of the groove in the shaft. Don't lose it - they like to sail to dark corners. Make take a couple tries. Be careful of the horn button pin/brush. There is a spring-loaded pin to make contact with the wheel.
May need to remove the turn signal arm/cancel cam. Couple screws. (Don't drop them into the column - been there, done that...)
In your model year, there is a screw that intersects the ignition cylinder at about 90 degrees. After removing, the cylinder should slide right out.
While you're in there, if you have a tilt wheel and it's floppy, there are four Torx screws (three are accessible here) - this tool is often available at the parts store for sale or at Harbor Freight. Gently tighten them to remove the slop. I can't recall for sure, but if you can see the upper shaft bearing, try to get a little while lithium grease (carefully) down into it to avoid later squeaking when it dries out.
Get it all back together by reversing the above sequence.
Be proud you did it yourself.

Reactions: 1 user

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
Put a summitracing 140 amp alternator on today. It required a little fab, my last alternator pulley, and a ground wire but man it was worth it. I never thought my brake lights would be so noticeable through my sideview mirror like they are now. Well worth the money. :D

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
Had my new vinyl top put on today and changed out 2 bad spark plug wires on a brand new set. I made a video of the vinyl top. My youtube name is SpartanHatNation. Sorry ill add a pic tomorrow.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
The roads were clear and dry so I decided to pull the Monte out and bring everything up to temp, check tire pressure, put a few miles on it, top it off, and put it back in the garage.
The SS ended up having a playdate instead.

ALLEGEDLY the car was seen by a police officer doing doughnuts in the parking lot of the abandoned factory. :twisted:

Attachments

• 20141217_162257 (2).jpg
    20141217_162257 (2).jpg
    846 KB · Views: 342

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
williamattop said:
The roads were clear and dry so I decided to pull the Monte out and bring everything up to temp, check tire pressure, put a few miles on it, top it off, and put it back in the garage.

ALLEGEDLY the car was seen by a police officer doing doughnuts in the parking lot of the abandoned factory. :twisted:

Sweeet :rofl:

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
williamattop said:

Sweeet :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor