What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Worked on the 442s front suspension today. Swapping out the Stock front springs for something with a drop to accommodate The lighter 383.

93BA77F6-56D1-498C-8039-37CA06F3F198.jpeg

Also replacing the control arms and sway bar bushings while I’m at it. Man I’m getting old. Years ago I’d get this done in a day. Now my knees and back are killing me and I can stay down too long so I take a lot of breaks haha!

Good thing the car is rust free and there aren’t any stubborn nuts or bolts to deal with. Just a stubborn ball joint stud.

1FB560B8-EFF2-4CA5-9EBE-C3E06E5A6B5B.jpeg

Reactions: 11 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Changed out my heater core lines as they were showing signs of deterioration. While I had the hood up, I added some foam to the gap between the radiator and condenser on the passenger side of the radiator to help pull more air through the condenser. It seemed to help my initial cooldown time for the air conditioning.

Reactions: 5 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
i haven't paid to have it done in a few years but i think it was steep.see what you think i could be wrong again.
mount/balance x2
valve stems x2
disposal x2.
$75.00
and yes i was sanding /polishing the scuffs out the hoops today.
I had two tires I already had put onto my t type wheels, made it clear to not put weights on the front.

Mount
"Balance"
Valve stems (Didn't need but ok, wish they would have put the Chrome ones in, at least they didnt put the extra long ones on)
And disposal

$54.

I go to the tires plus near my house. They were done in about an hour.

Reactions: 2 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
And Shame on me for not having brought my phone into the shop and take a video 😓 , but I walked into Mosteller Auto Repair today after work. The mechanic has got the Malibu running beautifully! It really made my day after having gone through hell. But he's still got to put on the Fabricated Fuel line "Pump to Carb" and he showed what he's planned with a mock up wire. Essentially he is going to run the line up the side of the engine (From the Pump) to the Carburetor instead of in the front of the engine where it was snaked through. hoping this will keep the fuel cooler. It does have a minor tick that we assume may work it self out as the car has been sitting for a while. But for the just in case I am going to pour in some Engine Restore see if that helps. The plan is to get the car done within the week, which translates to 2 more days as they are not working on weekends. This shop does do alot of contract work for the GOV/Fed so they have to drop whatever they are doing and fix a Mail Truck or Utility Truck or other. . . Well you get the point. Hopefully at least by Friday I will have her back, as Summer is fast approaching there Is much of the body work and rust repair I want to get done before Winter hits.

Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
And Shame on me for not having brought my phone into the shop and take a video 😓 , but I walked into Mosteller Auto Repair today after work. The mechanic has got the Malibu running beautifully! It really made my day after having gone through hell. But he's still got to put on the Fabricated Fuel line "Pump to Carb" and he showed what he's planned with a mock up wire. Essentially he is going to run the line up the side of the engine (From the Pump) to the Carburetor instead of in the front of the engine where it was snaked through. hoping this will keep the fuel cooler. It does have a minor tick that we assume may work it self out as the car has been sitting for a while. But for the just in case I am going to pour in some Engine Restore see if that helps. The plan is to get the car done within the week, which translates to 2 more days as they are not working on weekends. This shop does do alot of contract work for the GOV/Fed so they have to drop whatever they are doing and fix a Mail Truck or Utility Truck or other. . . Well you get the point. Hopefully at least by Friday I will have her back, as Summer is fast approaching there Is much of the body work and rust repair I want to get done before Winter hits.
Man, you gotta be able to do some of these tasks yourself or you'll go broke paying a shop to do all your work. That's what this hobby it all about. Don't be afraid or intimidated to learn new things.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Man, you gotta be able to do some of these tasks yourself or you'll go broke paying a shop to do all your work. That's what this hobby it all about. Don't be afraid or intimidated to learn new things.
It's not that I am afraid to do or learn some things myself, its more the matter of not having a garage or lift or other equipment to repair or replace/repair parts etc. Rebuilding the Carb is one thing I did want to do myself same goes with the pump to carb fuel line. But since the mechanic is getting it decently running I can focus more on the Body Work and Rust removal and other parts I do have the capacity and ability to replace or do myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
not much, worked on the patch for the quarter panel. Made a tapered V to go over the drain hole and welded that on, then had a beer...... :popcorn:

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor