What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Today having the day off, I went out to O'reilly's and got the Primer filler I needed for this Tail Light extension piece.

20200705_165639[1].jpg

Looks like you can barely see it on the photo. But there are two spots I was trying to fill in with directly spraying the filler which did not fill them in. I had to build up the spots abit with the primer. I am using Dupli-color Filler Primer. Right now I have it sitting out to dry. I ended up having to intentionally Over spray the two spots to fill them in. By tomorrow there will be allot of sanding to do before I paint it up.

Reactions: 4 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Got an idea from a Facebook group to make clear tail lights. Figured out the OE ones are bonded plastic-to-plastic instead of using butyl sealant like the 87-88 lights. So the dremel got to work today
View attachment 150992

View attachment 150993
I’m going to use a molding technique used in scale modeling, using epoxy resin to cast the lenses. It’ll set me back a pretty penny to do once, but if I get the molds right I can most likely make these at any point in the future.

I really liked the way mine came out, if it hadn't gone that way my plan was to go clear and use those turn signals that people attach up front as DRL's for the turn part and make some sort of rope for the brake light as well inside.
20170607_181359.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
In recent weeks, I have rebuilt the Edelbrock 600, added a different air cleaner with K&N, added Davis Streetfire ignition and swapped out the open 8.5 for a 7.5/ Mini Spool. Still tuning the carb...

Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I really liked the way mine came out, if it hadn't gone that way my plan was to go clear and use those turn signals that people attach up front as DRL's for the turn part and make some sort of rope for the brake light as well inside.
View attachment 151036
The rope light idea is what I saw on one of the g body groups I follow (possibly The GBody Connection?), but you could tell at a glance that while the rope light worked, it can’t form 90 degree angles so it ends up kinda rounded.
I’m going to end up using the solid strips that places like Profile Performance makes, but I won’t be able to make the whole perimeter light up.

Those emblems look sweet by the way, you get those made or did you make them yourself?

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The rope light idea is what I saw on one of the g body groups I follow (possibly The GBody Connection?), but you could tell at a glance that while the rope light worked, it can’t form 90 degree angles so it ends up kinda rounded.
I’m going to end up using the solid strips that places like Profile Performance makes, but I won’t be able to make the whole perimeter light up.

Those emblems look sweet by the way, you get those made or did you make them yourself?
I recently aborted the broken-bulb-soldered-filament method of connection in favor of an actual connection, but this LED tape is like the guts of a rope light.

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

See I wouldn't mind it being rounded, I had thought about going like a C on each end or had a few other ideas I never really got into. I got it made and did all of the emblems on the car that way
20160713_220355.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Allot of sanding, double checking in the light, alittle more sanding and finally it's painted. You can see my reflection in it and that's just 3 wet coats no over spray. . . Now when I get the Car back from the shop I have to do this to the rest of the body.

- Dupli-color Universal Black.

20200706_163653[1].jpg

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
cut
grind
yep

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Turned scrap into welded scrap:
7203A3EB-C039-431F-A2F6-E282F2BD5254.jpeg

Then made it sort of nice.
It’s a bracket for my cutoff switch, I’m going to mount it on the spare tire holder.
651E4C02-2F8A-4E8B-9126-BF3E18585EE8.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor